Motor Insurance claim

kiwijbob

Hi, I've been informed by my insurer that they've received a
report/claim of an incident earlier in the year, not to go
into the irrelevant details but the fact remains that I don't
think I'm responsible and I told the other driver that when the
incident occurred. I informed my insurer that there had
been an incident when it happened, but i only informed
them that it had happened and not who was responsible.

After this time delay of 5 months do I now have to explain
the whole event and hope they believe me? there were no
witnesses and no damage was caused to my car. I've never
been involved in an incident before and I don't want to dig a
hole for myself? cheers in advance for any advice :eek:

The time limit for someone to claim against your insurance is 2 years.

Were the guards called to this accident?

I had this happen a while ago although it was the named driver that was driving. They tried to claim a 3 months before the 2 years was up.

A guy from the insurance company sent me a letter and came out to visit me. I had to sign a statement of my version of the story and then he contacted the named driver and got a statement of his version.

They will investigate this they really dont want to have to pay out.

As it turns out my named driver did slightly bump into this other driver but there was only a small scratch to her back bumper. My named driver said he would pay for the scratch to be fixed after all it was his fault. They phoned him a week later to say it would cost €2000 to fix, my named driver told them there was no way it was going to cost that much and he wasn't going to pay it. He said he wanted 3 different quotes from garages. We never heard anything from them again untill we heard from the insurance company. He said he would also get a friend of his that was a mechanic to look at the car but they refused saying they didn't want the car to be seen by anyone apart from where they got the original quote from.

She was claiming that €2000 euro of damage had been caused and also claiming for loss of work cause she was injured. She had a doctor's report and hospital report saying she had whiplash which was dated 3 days after the accident.

The guy investigated and called me back a few weeks later. The cheeky cow had had another accident the next day as a passenger in her car, and because no one else was involved tried to get us to pay for it. I dont know the full details of what happened but from what he said the accident that happened a few days later was caused by someone not insured on her car so she couldn't claim for it and thats when they decided to come after us.

So in the end we didn't have to pay anything and the claim is now closed.

I think the 2 years only refers to personal injury and not property damage but i cant remember! Anyways its neither here notr there. The insurance company is entitled to settle the claim without discussing it with you..subrogation clause. Isnt much you can do about it. They wouldnt pay out if they didnt think they were in the wrong.
Whether you think you are responsible or not is irrelevant. Most people dont tend to think they were in the wrong, but when it gets into the technicalities..........!!

I didn't realise they could settle with out discussing it with you.

Could it be that the amount is less than what it would cost to pay someone to investigate it.

I mean in my situation it was €2000 For the damage done to her car i have no idea what amount she was looking for the personal injury claim.

It was proven that she was lying out of her bum and it was not my named driver that had caused the €2000 damage or even injured her. She was infact injured but it was caused at a later date not from when my named driver bumped her.

What if the insurance company had not of investigated and paid out this money to her? My insurance would of gone up and she would of got away with fraud?

With insurers most time its an easy decision who's at fault and they are obliged to pay Third Party property/motor damage claims asap. However they will go off and investigate if someone is alleging Personal Injury,

That would be why they investigated with what happen to me.

It couldn't of been that bad if there only now after 5 months looking to get the car fixed or looking to be repayed from paying it themselves.

Unless the OP went into the back of him ( maybe this is ths case) how would they know who was at fault without at least seeing the cars since there were no witnesses.

They can certainly settle without discussing with you.

I shunted a guy some years ago in stop/start traffic and cars were repaired, claim settled etc. Nothing major, low speed etc.

You can imagine my surprise some years later when I discovered that the insurance company had also paid out a £46K personal injuries claim.

Back