Motor Change of Ownership

A

antodeco

Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone can help. I cuurently have a micra registered under my own name, and an almera under my own name. If I want to change the micra to my girlfriends name (as she will be using it full time and it saves alot more money on insurance) how would I go about doing it? Insurance on the car can only be used for the owner of the vehicle. Ive checked with oasis.gov but they say have to have a registration log book. This seems like a garage type book, but I just want to do it easier.
Thanks,
aNtOdEcO

antodeco said:
Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone can help. I cuurently have a micra registered under my own name, and an almera under my own name. If I want to change the micra to my girlfriends name (as she will be using it full time and it saves alot more money on insurance) how would I go about doing it? Insurance on the car can only be used for the owner of the vehicle. Ive checked with oasis.gov but they say have to have a registration log book. This seems like a garage type book, but I just want to do it easier.
Thanks,
aNtOdEcO

If the car is newer than 92, just fill out the form on the ownership doucment and send it off..

For older cars, its a trip down the motor tax office for a change of ownership form...

This may be stating the obvious, but if you transfer ownership to her, she will own the car regardless of what happens in your relationship.

While on the subject of change of ownership, I have a '00 car that I am going to try and sell privately. I have a Vehicle Licensing Certificate and I know that I have to complete Part B and forward to the DOE.

But do I also need a Registration Book or Vehicle Registration Certificate as well?
www.oasis.gov.ie states that I should also give the Vehicle Registration Cert. to the new owner as well. See here

I only have a Vehicle Licensing Certificate.

Should I also have a Registration Cert?

I have tried calling my local tax office. No answer.

techman said:
While on the subject of change of ownership, I have a '00 car that I am going to try and sell privately. I have a Vehicle Licensing Certificate and I know that I have to complete Part B and forward to the DOE.

But do I also need a Registration Book or Vehicle Registration Certificate as well?
states that I should also give the Vehicle Registration Cert. to the new owner as well. See here

I only have a Vehicle Licensing Certificate.

Should I also have a Registration Cert?

I have tried calling my local tax office. No answer.

you won't have a book , thats for 92 and before cars..

the Vehicle Licensing Certificate and Vehicle Registration Certificate are the same things , they had different names at different times i think...

you as the seller need to post that off yourself, DO NOT let the buy post it.... there is a little tare off bit at the end you can give him/her as proof they bought the car...

jhegarty said:
the Vehicle Licensing Certificate and Vehicle Registration Certificate are the same things , they had different names at different times i think...

I don't think this is correct - I have both certificates for an 02 registered car...

I eventually got through to the local Motor Taxation Office. Was told that a Vehicle Registration Certificate or Registration Book only applies to pre '92 vehicles.

Back