motor Breakdown Services

trojan

I have been a member of AA for many years and found them excellent. I intend to remain a member but was wondering what is the main difference between the AA service and that provided by the main Irish based insurance companies like Allianz etc

I've used the Aviva service a couple of times - old battery was dead and they fitted a new battery; another time an alternator(serpentine) belt went and replacement was fitted.
In both cases I just had to pay for the part, the labour costs were covered, and they were able to fit it in the driveway.
The car was at home at the time, I was waiting a few hours for them to come out but understandable as I wasn't an emergency case.

Possibly AA would have faster response times, especially in remoter areas.

You can see the full T&Cs of the Aviva cover via this link, scroll to page #26:
http://www.aviva.ie/media-library/MotorCare-Policy-Booklet.pdf

I had breakdown cover included with my main insurance policy. When I broke down on M1, there was a lot of confusion about the number of the policy etc but, in the end, they would not send out the breakdown company because I had not put the car through its first NCT ( I was waiting to do some bodywork and 5 months had passed). I had to get the company and pay them privately to get me home with the car on a truck!!

I have breakdown cover with my AXA policy, have to say I find them great. I have had to use it a few times, once was only dead battery so easily fixed. Other times they gave option of trucking it home or to nearest garage or to my regular garage. They don't seem to fix stuff in general other than very simple things.

I agree that Axa breakdown is v.good - both the people on the phone and the guys with the tow trucks.

This in marked contrast with their insurance call centre staff who are so awful to deal with - they are based in Derry/Londonderry and with their gruff (i.e., pig-ignorant & rude) Northern manner don't have a clue how to interact with customers calling them from the "26 counties".

I'm with the AA and have always found then superb.
It's worth noting that they will change light bulbs and they only charge for the bulb.

I too found AXA breakdown cover excellent. I had two punctures in one night and they got me and my car home.

Back