Mother & fathers entitlement to pension at 66

rumble

Hi,

My father has been employed since he was 16 years old, he is currently 60 and he will get the state pension when he is 66 but my question is about my mother who is currently in receipt of disability payment, she was born in n.ireland and has worked in southern Ireland for about 10 years in a factory, not quite sure what she is entitled to when she turns 66, does my father claim for her and what is the allowance? Can my mum claim her own pension?

Your mother can apply for a contributory pension, based on her PRSI contributions and credits. If she's only worked for about 10 years, it's possible that her pension entitlement based on her own PRSI record could be less than your father can claim for her as a Qualified Adult.

At 2010 rates, the maximum contributory state pension is €230.30 plus €153.50 for a qualified adult under 66 or €206.30 for a qualified adult age 66 or over.

Here is the link to Dept of Social Protection's page on State Pension Contributory.

As your mother is on a disability payment (you haven't stated which one or for how long) perhaps she should be applying for an Invalidity Pension and your father applying for pension for himself only

Mum is getting disability benefit (not means tested) didn't know you could get invalidity pension, i will have a search now about it to see if mum would qualify. again thanks

Back