MOT v NCT

Jane1

Hi,
If a UK car has just passed the Mot, does it have to go through the NCT once imported? Also anyone know if the VRT has to be paid on the day of inspection? Thanks.

Check out this for information on importing a car into Ireland and payment of VRT.

I would imagine that if a car has the MOT this is irrelevant as I am not aware of any reciprocal arrangements between jurisdictions in this regard.

Having said that, the MOT is aparently a much more stringent test than the NCT, so a car that has recently passed the MOT shouldn't (in theory) have much problem in passing the NCT.

CCOVICH said:
Having said that, the MOT is aparently a much more stringent test than the NCT, so a car that has recently passed the MOT shouldn't (in theory) have much problem in passing the NCT.

Don't agree here. Brought back a 91 civic a few years ago from London, had valid MOT and never failed one. Failed NCT here due to a pin missing that holds the CV joint in place on the front wheel. Think our NCT is way over MOT. As well as this, the MOT is run by approved garages, I think some creative MOT-ing goes on too.

quinno said:
Don't agree here. Brought back a 91 civic a few years ago from London, had valid MOT and never failed one. Failed NCT here due to a pin missing that holds the CV joint in place on the front wheel. Think our NCT is way over MOT. As well as this, the MOT is run by approved garages, I think some creative MOT-ing goes on too.

Fair enough, I was only basing it on something I read either here or on www.boards.ie, so it wasn't fact or personal experience.

There's a world of difference.

The biggest one is that an MOT is an annual inspection.

RS2K said:
There's a world of difference.

The biggest one is that an MOT is an annual inspection.

So in your opinion, which is more thorough and of likely to be of benefit (if any) to potential buyers?

quinno said:
I have to admit i'd agree with this. Having brought a few cars back from the UK i personally don't believe an MOT is worth the paper it's written on.

'Creative mot-ing' would certainly seem to be the order of the day in particular for cars worth less than about GBP£5k.

For all our complaints about the NCT it's of a higher standard and harder to pass than the MOT. There's a lot less dangerous old bangers on Irish roads as a result.

The imported car will need to be NCTed regardless of MOT .

You can find the exact VRT to be paid on revenue.ie ( when the site is up)

Don't forget if the car is less than 6 month old VAT is due to it aswell.

I dont really think you can say whether one is more thorough or better than the other.

In my experience of MOTs in UK is that they tend to fail you whenever possible and look for faults as usually they will offer to do the work themselves.

In Ireland, down the country here, there is one garage renowned for doing pre-NCT tests and you are guaranteed to pass NCT. Its not just a coincidence that his brother is some supervisor at local NCT place. All the locals know the routine.

I got an MOT done before I came across with my car. However, when I imported it (foolishly), I had to get an NCT done which it passed.

BUT I got an NCT certificate for 5 months only !!! I was fuming mad. Its all to do with the anniversary of when your car was first registered wherever country it is from. So I had to do another NCT 5 months later which then lasted 2 years.

I contacted the NCT people and after several rounds of letters it came down to them explaining that it was down to their computer system being very rigid.

Back