Most tax-efficient pension pot and payout to aim for?

It’s misguided to aim for €37.5k of income just because that’s where the higher income tax rate kicks in.

The “relief at 40% and tax at 40% plus levies” argument is also misguided. It’s the tax-free compounding that’s the real secret sauce.
But how is it the compounding tax free if you end up paying it on the way out anyway?
Suspect pensions are a no-brainer for majority ordinary workers who have them mostly funded via employer contributions etc, but not so straightforward for the self-employed who can exploit other tax-efficient avenues all throughout working life also. That’s how it feels to me anyway, but open to correction!

Last edited:
But how is it the compounding tax free if you end up paying it on the way out anyway?
Suspect pensions are a no-brainer for worker bees who have them mostly funded via employer contributions etc, but not so straightforward for the self-employed who can exploit other tax-efficient avenues all throughout working life also. That’s how it feels to me anyway, but open to correction!
I think Gordon means that they are tax free while they are growing and that therefore tax does not reduce the compounding effect which is the greatest benefit of a pension, even if they are taxed at withdrawal.

For example, if you were to contribute €1000 to your pension with 20% tax relief, that would cost you €800. That could grow to €2000 by the time you retire. You get €500 tax free and then pay tax on the rest at 20%-40%. So you get €1400-€1700 back after tax. It's impossible to predict which tax bracket you will be in so far into the future, as it will be impacted by things like inflation, government decisions and your fund growth. So you just need to make an informed guess based on your current pension predictions as to where you think you will land in terms of those 2 outcomes.

I am not aware of any 'other tax efficient avenues' which would give a better long term outcome, other than paying off you mortgage which is well discussed here on AAM.

By comparison, ETFs have no tax relief on the way in, have no TFLS, and are subject to 41% exit tax.
Shares have no tax relief on the way in, no TFLS and are subject to 33% CGT on gains and 20%-40% marginal rate tax on dividends (annually).

So the ARF would last 25 years at that rate, and since unlikely both spouses would live til 90, it’s possibly good estate planning of leftovers too for any dependents?

The maths is a bit more complicated. You would hope that the ARF fund will grow so that will slow down the rate at which it reduces to zero. On the other hand, when you're over 70 the required income is 5% so that's a factor also.

On a more general level, there are many different attitudes to what people want to achieve in retirement. Some want to leave some of their ARF behind for their kids; others want to spend it all if they can, knowing that the kids will probably inherit property and cash anyway. Some will want to spend more in the early years of retirement even if that requires paying some tax at 40%, probably cutting back on the spending as they get older and life gets a bit more sedentary. Others will carefully balance the income to stay on 20%. None of these (and many other variations) are right or wrong. No one size fits all approach - it's what fits you.

Having said all that, “peak tax-efficiency” is reached at €800k (because of the €200k ceiling on the TFLS), so that’s a useful initial target.

Ideally, yourself and your spouse should have roughly the same sized pension pot, where possible.
@Sarenco, Thanks
€800k ceiling at what age - 50 or retirement ?

If you've no other taxable income by then, yes. To do this would require a fund each of over €900,000. (25% lump sum would be €225,000, on which you'd pay €5,000 tax. Remaining ARF €675,000. Income of 4% of the ARF = €27,000.)
Why not add another 300k of lump sum at 20% upfront. I think, overall 1.2 - 1.3 million at retirement is optimal to stay in 20% tax band

What would these be ?
Various patent/royalty exemptions, 12.5% corporation tax on company profits, retirement relief etc. Many ways to minimise tax all throughout earnings life, so it's hard to get my head around how restrictive pension income seems to be.

Suspect pensions are a no-brainer for majority ordinary workers who have them mostly funded via employer contributions etc, but not so straightforward for the self-employed who can exploit other tax-efficient avenues all throughout working life also. That’s how it feels to me anyway, but open to correction!

Various patent/royalty exemptions, 12.5% corporation tax on company profits, retirement relief etc. Many ways to minimise tax all throughout earnings life, so it's hard to get my head around how restrictive pension income seems to be.
The sheer naivete of this.

The self-employed don't pay corporation tax.
Patent royalty exemption is available only in a vanishingly narrow set of circumstances and to a vanishingly narrow set of beneficiaries.
Retirement relief has nothing to do with income.

Think about it a different way. The government will lend you 40% of whatever you’re willing to put in, and it’ll do so on an interest-free basis. That 100% can then grow tax-free. Yes, the government wants tax on the growth down the line, but you’re still getting to keep the majority of the growth on that original 40% loan and the 40%, plus you get the tailwind of the tax-free lump sum/20% lump sum. It’s misguided to view it as “tax on the way in, tax on the way out, net-net the same”.

Lump the spare money into a pension at the end of the financial year, that gives the individual a 40% advantage and saves the company 12.5% if you bring the companies liability down to zero

Pension income is exactly the same as employment income, but with a healthy dash of tax free lump sum. Not sure how you're seeing it as restrictive.

The sheer naivete of this.

The self-employed don't pay corporation tax.
Patent royalty exemption is available only in a vanishingly narrow set of circumstances and to a vanishingly narrow set of beneficiaries.
Retirement relief has nothing to do with income.
My point is that there’s a great variety of ways for the self-employed to structure their earnings in a more tax-efficient manner. May well be my own bias or rationale at play given I’m self-employed myself, but pension income sounds a lot like going back and taking a salary working for ‘the man’! That’s exactly how my pensions advisor put it too, that it’s as if Zurich will be basically paying my ‘salary’ in retirement . A huge mindset shift (on my part at least.)!

My point is that there’s a great variety of ways for the self-employed to structure their earnings in a more tax-efficient manner
There really aren't though.

Okay, incorporation is a possibility but that has its own drawbacks and isn't available to everyone either.

Apart from that, I'm genuinely at a loss to understand what you're counting here.

Also OP,
If you do exceed the 40% threshold, you only pay 40% on the amount by which you exceed it. So if 42k is the threshold and your income is 45k
You pay 40% on 3k instead of 20%

Effectively paying extra 0.2x 3000 = €600 per year in tax

Some of this doesn’t seem a million miles from turning down a promotion and a higher salary because it results in a higher salary. Paying tax at the higher rate is fundamentally a good thing because it’s a function of success.
Yes, but maybe only great if you’re not paying for it yourself!

What does that mean though?
By contributing lots into a pension the self-employed are basically forgoing earnings today to ‘pay’ themselves (and the taxman) in the future.
Not quite the same as turning down a higher salary funded by a third party.

By contributing lots into a pension the self-employed are basically forgoing earnings today to ‘pay’ themselves (and the taxman) in the future.
Not quite the same as turning down a higher salary funded by a third party.
I think that's a fair assessment.. except that the future income will be higher than the current income forgone due to growth in the pension fund. This can be significant due to compounding. It also ignores the preferential tax treatment of the 25% lump sum.

So it's a choice between income now (which is taxable); or quite a bit more income in the future (75% of which is taxable).

Back