most economic car - bad roads

D

delta73

I have a.... and I'm thinking of changing early next year.

Nothing wrong with it, I'm quite fond of it, :D but I'd like to know is there anything else out there that would do better miles to the gallon for me.
I drive .....miles to work daily, on really bad roads where I have to constantly brake/change gear etc, which obviously doesn't help my petrol consumption. I also do a fair bit of urban driving. (and that's putting it mildly!!!!!)
For example, over the last 9 days, I drove 340 miles, cost me 50 euro in petrol.

Any suggestions for me? Would I do any better with a diesel???

You could get a smaller car (1.0 litre), otherwise unlikely you can save much in fuel economy as the focus is not bad for mpg. However the cost of changing car will most likely far outweigh any fuel savings you make. If you want to save money your best bet is to keep teh focus and forget about changing cars. IMHO 340 miles in 9 days is not enough to justify the extra cost with buying a diesel car.

There's .... at the mo.

I've had a Fiesta, which wasn't any better on mpg, but changed to the .... after I had my now 19mth old son, neither the pram or buggy would fit comfortably in the boot of the Fiesta, so I had to get a slightly bigger car!!!!

I'd say stick with what you have until 60k miles are up.

The extra costs of buying a diesel will probably not be made back by your mileage.

The Focus is a good safe car, and in relative terms it's fuel consumption in 1.4 litre guise is ok.

Assuming petrol is €1.18 per litre, and that my maths are ok, your average fuel consumption based on €50 covering 340 miles is 36.44 mpg, which is pretty good for stop start driving.

Toyota Carina E Leanburn. I had one and found its fuel consumption second to none. I had an old (1989) micra beforehand and the Carina guzzled less juice. Avensis wouldnt be too far off either. Maybe its Toyota's VVTi engines as my sisters Yaris is fairly good on petrol too.

At 2007 will be a new Renault available , running on petrol and natural gas , the compressor for home tanking comes with it for free . No more fuel and time wasting rides to the petrol station . And gas costs a fraction of petrol , causing 20 % less CO2 emissions as well. See [broken link removed]

does anyone know of any sites that do mpg comparisons?

No particular site . But every manufacturer or seller selling cars in the EU has to display the fuel use in liters per 100 km . Giving the consumption in miles per gallon is only in GB and Ireland done .The L / km number has to be given there as well .

Heinbloed - Many thanks for that information about the new Renault. Looks as if I may be able to become a driver again there is a possibility of doing so without contributing too much to destroying the planet!

Don't be fooled by the Toyota Prius. A VW Golf Diesel will be just as economical. Plus that & the Gold is a far better looking car.

Yes the Toyota Prius was something I considered before buying my new car.I ended up buying a focus 1.6 TDCI as there was no difference in fuel consumption between the Prius and the Focus..Actually I think you will find the Focus TDCI one of the most economical car on the road and it also has a nice bit of power ...

That TDCI in 110bhp form is quite zippy. It needs to be to power bigger cars like Citroen C5's and Peugeot 406's.

Back