Most beautiful place in the world?

ragazza

Hi,

I'm thinking of going travelling next year for a few months and am looking for recommendations on places to go.

Ideally I'd like to see places which have jaw-droppingly beautiful scenery, which you'll never forget.
In other posts people have recommended for example Iguassu Falls in Brazil/Arg or Frazier Island in Australia, and I would recommend the salt desert in Bolivia and the sand-dunes in the Sahara.

The types of scenery I usually like are desert landscapes, mountains and coastline.
I'm interested to hear recommendations of places that people consider are "must gos" - short haul or long haul, but preferably long haul and exotic/off the beaten track.

Thanks,
Ragazza

Very open ended & subjective question! For what it's worth, I would add New Zealand to you list of destinations to consider. Spectacular & varied scenery from North to South.

I like the thread-get's me dreaming!
I would have to concur on NZ.
Tongariro Crossin in centre of North Island,is like walking o the moon(ur actually walking on a volcanic crater.White Island off the north coast of North Island is also incredibly spectacular.
As for South Island,too numerous to mention.What about Jordan-lots of desert landscapes etc & very safe.

Kakadu and Katherine Gorge in Australia's Northern Territories. Flinders Rangers north of Adelaide in Oz.

Huacachina and Nazca in Peru (if you like deserts)

Ha Long Bay in Vietnam

Angkor in Cambodia

Railay Beach in Thailand

The boat journey from Flores to Lombok in Indonesia

El Chalten in Argentina - walking and horseriding (it's amazing)

Bariloche in Argentina

I agree with Iguazzu Falls, Fraser Island and the Salt Plains in Bolivia. All amazing.

went to Yosemite National Park in California recently, i couldnt believe the scenery. 4 hrs drive from san fran def worth a look if ur around that area. My fotos are like postcards. Mountains and waterfalls , the big trees etc.

Sounds like a great trip.

Haven't been there (yet) but my current top-of-wish-list destination is Namibia. Should fit the bill for your fondness for deserts and wide open spaces.

Fish River Canyon is supposed to be fantastic, you've also got the Skeleton Coast, vast deserts, the worlds biggest sand dunes, game parks and the lowest population density in the world.

I WILL get there eventually.

Cape Tribulation where the rainforest meets the coast is pretty cool too.
Daintree national park in oz.

have to say the whitsunday islands were the most spectacular for me
went out on a yacht for a few days did my first dive there...happy days!

Caye Caulker , Belize , dive the blue hole, snorkel the barrier reef
Oaxaca , Mexico
Lago de Aitilan ( SP?) Guatemala
Bay Islands , Honduras
Viang viene , Laos
Definitely Angkor Wat in Cambodia,
Pai , 4 hours North of Chaing Mai, Thailand
The Coromandal in New Zealand, Bay of Islands New Zealand, McKenzie Country, New Zealand, Milford Sound, NZ , Helicopter trip to top of Mt Cook NZ.

Hi,

thanks for those suggestions - I think I'll need more than a few months traveling now!!
I've been to a good few of those suggested places, and agree they are spectacular. NZ is looking likely, since it seems there is a huge variety there.
Am also thinking of following the silk route through Turkmenistan/ Uzbekistan and trekking in Nepal/Tibet. If anyone has been there and can comment on what it's like, let me know!

Any other suggestions welcome too! :)
Ragazza.

Haven't been to Tibet/Nepal myself, but met people in Angkor when we were away and they had been trekking in Nepal in Kathmandu and rated it as their fave place. Somewhere on our list, I must say!

If your are into mountains, have to say Canadian Rockies are magnificient.
Go mountain flying through them and it is unforgetable.
Stay away from tourist traps and head north to Yukon/Alaska along Alaska highway. You can stop beside bison, bears, caribou or head up along coast from Vancouver island for great sea trip with views of whales, bears etc.
If want somewhere near home with spectacular mountains and coasts tray Fjords in Norway. Probably as dear as going to New Zealand :)

Sounds like a great trip.

Haven't been there (yet) but my current top-of-wish-list destination is Namibia. Should fit the bill for your fondness for deserts and wide open spaces.

Fish River Canyon is supposed to be fantastic, you've also got the Skeleton Coast, vast deserts, the worlds biggest sand dunes, game parks and the lowest population density in the world.

I WILL get there eventually.

Have to second you on that Muzaway! I was there a few years years ago. And it is everything you describe and more. A different landscape as you turn every corner. Dry arid Namib desert with spectacular drives, little outpost villages, changing climes (we had a flashflood followed by a magnificent rainbow). Friendly people. Fish River Canyon is worth the diversion you may need to take to get there. Skeleton coast and the dunes we saw by taking a fly-over which was really enjoyable. Namibia is a well kept secret. I would rate it far and above its neighbour South Africa. Only downside, it is very hot! But go out of its summer season and you will get the benefit of seeing spring in a desert.

went trekking in Nepal, from Pokhara base, highly recommend. do look into the time of year though, we went in March and the rhododendrons in flower were fantastic, sept - nov is supposed to be ideal weather wise.

sound like a great trip, enjoy!

God's Window in the Eastern Transvaal (Mpumalanga as it's called now).

Cathedral Peak in the Natal Drakensberg.

have to say the whitsunday islands were the most spectacular for me
went out on a yacht for a few days did my first dive there...happy days!

Have to agree with deanwood. Whitehaven beach is heaven on earth!

Just back from Namibia..and I second other people comment..stunning scenery!
It's got super deserts and coastline..

Also recommend trekking in Nepal, very relaxing, I trek up to everest base camp 5500m, alittude got me, but not my girlfriend. Just take a day rest to recover.
Life is cheap there, accommadation 1-2 dollors, dinner 2-4 dollors.
Ideally need to be trekking fit, otherwise just do it slower and hire a porter to carry your bags. People are very simple and friendly.

Also try the atacama desert in chile...another amazing place.

Note there is a lonely planet pic book called something like "50 places to see in the world" it might give you some ideas.

Back