Mosquito Nets for Central America?

bradfield

Hey All,

Just looking for some advice. Heading to Central America (Mexico, Belize, Guatemala and Costa Rica) in a couple of weeks for 4 weeks. Will be staying in medium standard accomodation and will not really be roughing it too much. Do we need to bring mossie nets with us?

Thanks in advance

B

They're quite small and light (about the same as a rolled up pair of socks), so don't worry about taking them and not needing them. If you do take them, bring some string aswell, as it can sometimes be difficult to find something to hang them on to!

Aside from malaria, mosquitoes also carry dengue fever, which, while it won't kill you, is really nasty (like a really bad flu).

Don't forget to use mossy repellent. We used a mixture of Johnsons baby oil and citronella oil, mixed to a pale straw colour, and very rarely got bitten. (Even on an open boat trip in the Caroni swamp in Trinidad.)

Hi,

last year I was in Belize, Guatemala, and all the other Central American cou tries, and didnt need a net. I dont remember mozzies being a problem atall, but we didnt go to the swampy areas of Belize, where maybe you would need one.
I had one with me which was huge, but I never used it, and it was a waste of space.
I'd say, wait until you get there, and then see if you need one.

Ragazza.

was in central america for a year & never needed a net once- you can get really small ones though if you do want to take one. Take some Deet 100 & 5o strength.

you should check out www.travelshop.ie, found it in a link from the tropical medical bureau...good mosi protection there...those mossies either love you or hate you...I never get bitten but they seem to follow the mrs ALL over the world
enjoy your trip

Well worth bringing a net, keeps lots of nasties out of your bed not just mozzies!

Depends what kind of areas you are staying in; in jungle areas, you will definitely need a mozzie net; though in my experience accommodation in high risk areas will have nets over your beds (I have never been in Central America so I don't know if it is common practice there). You may not need it but if you do get bitten it may not turn out to be a pleasant experience if get something like Malaria or Dengue Fever. As I always say "better to have and not need it........".

Oh and the other thing, avoid the home remedies for mozzie repellant. Works for some people but not for most. Get a good strong spray (50% DEET); Jungle Formula is quite good. Brought it to Peru last year and barely was bitten at all.

Back