Moscow

Lemurz

Going to Moscow next week on business.

First time I've been to Russia.

Any comments/advice/etc appreciated.

Beware of police trying to shake down foreigners for money, alleging offences that never happened. Be careful of the black market guys trying to sell you stuff.

Make sure you get your visa stamped by the hotel or you will have an interesting time trying to leave the country.

Just be careful in general.

bond-007 said:
Beware of police trying to shake down foreigners for money, alleging offences that never happened.

Maybe in St. Petersburg, but not in Moscow.

If you have time for a look around, it's worth hiring an English-speaking guide privately. They don't cost much, can skip you to the front of queues, and are much more flexible than the tour groups--if you're sick of Faberge and want to know more about the Peter the Great, they'll happily accommodate you.

You should find a guide list in any of the major guidebooks, or the Moscow Times.

J.

A trip to Red Square is a must - also St. Basil's cathedral - and the Kremlin alongside. Inside the Kremlin try to get to the Armoury. Plenty of English speaking guides outside who will gladly give a tour.

The Pushkin Museum of Art is also worth seeing - beware as a lot of museums close on Mondays.

If you can get tickets to a ballet in the Bolshoi theatre - it is worth seeing. Tickets are sold at kiosks at most of the Metro stations - and in the ticket office near the Bolshoi. Tickets for theatre, circus, etc are all vey reasonable compared to Western Europe. Circus is good fun - but you might feel a little strange there without kids!!!

There is a market each weekend at Ismailova (metro I think is called Ismailova Park) where you can get lots of Russian souvenirs & some art (- & can barter). I think it closes around 3 / 3.30.

I liked to visit Kolomenskoye Estate & Museum - but it is really just a big park near the river with a few nice walks & towers. On the metro line also.

The metro stations themselves are all quite beautiful inside - worth looking at a few.

There are a lot of Western style restuarants etc. now so food won't be an issue. These used to be a very popular Sunday brunch at the Vienna Cafe in the Renaissance hotel. It is a few years since I lived in Moscow - so not sure if this is still in operation.

Enjoy the trip
It is a wonderful city!!

valc

Back