Mortgage - Who gets title deeds?

supe

Hi,

Myself and my girlfriend at the time (now wife) bought our home in 2004. We bought the house with the aid of a mortgage and used a solicitor to complete the necessary legal formalities. As we never received any title deeds for the house I was under the impression that the mortgage lender got the title deeds, as they basically own the house until we have repaid the mortgage. Is this correct? and is there any paperwork we should have received to say that we have an interest in the house? To date we have no documents to link us to the purchase of the property, other than our mortgage agreement and bank statements showing mortgage payments.

Thanks.

Lender gets Deeds. It would not normally be the case that the purchasers would ever see the Deeds - well, not until they pay off their mortgage!

If you have a concern that Deeds were never returned to them, then you can simply get in touch with the Lender and ask them to confirm if they have your Deeds.

Or you could call your solicitor and ask them to confirm when the Deeds were forwarded to the Lender.

mf

Ask the solicitor who dealt with your purchase to give you a copy of the folio and file plan. This will note your interest on it :)

Back