Mortgage term, fixed rate and term decision

Generic Name

Hi,

We are in the process of switching our mortgage from UB and have just received AIP from Avant. We have a rough idea of what the best option might be for us but would be interested in getting other peoples views in case there is anything we haven't considered.

Some details are -

Currently with UB on a 4 year fixed rate of 2.6% ending this September, outstanding balance just under €410,000.

LTV < 50%.

AIP for €400,000 from Avant. We will use savings for the difference and make this payment to UB prior to requesting the break fee as advised on this forum.

Fixed term with UB ends in September, however any break fee is more than likely to be covered by the reduction in interest paid over the remaining 6 or so months by switching.

Based on my age we could get up to a 26 year term with Avant. We are undecided as to whether we should go for say 25 years (monthly repayment around 350 less than current) or 20 years (monthly repayment same as current). In either scenario we intend to overpay. I understand the longer term gives more flexibility, etc. again as learned on this forum.

In terms of how much we might overpay I can't see us ever exceeding or coming close to the annual 10% overpayment allowance. Our savings are modest enough, though we have no debt outside of our mortgage.

First and last home, unless we downsize in retirement.

Kids aged 6 & 7, so plenty of other costs down the line.

Currently allocating 20% of my salary to my work pension, considering upping this to the permitted 25% based on my age. I guess I'm prioritizing pension building over mortgage debt reduction here. My wife contributes to her HSE pension scheme, with whom she works permanent part-time (3 days per week).

My gut says to go for 7 years at 1.95%, on a 20 year term, but would be interested in any other points of view.

Thanks,
GN

The longer contractual term is generally the better options. Based on the info you've provided I don't see any reason to go against that approach.

You may well have plenty of outgoings with the little ones. Why formerly lock yourself into higher repayments. Especially if you don't think you'll max out the 10% overpayment option.

My vote goes for 25/26 years and fixed for the 7 years. As long as the 350 is there use it to overpay. When it isn't you don't have to worry about finding it.

Last edited:
Yes you'll always save money paying a loan off faster. The question is should you put yourself under unnecessary strain to do this. Remember its easy to shorten your mortgage but very difficult to extend it if something happens.

Thanks to the flexibility of Avant you can achieve the same outcome on a 25 year at the end of the fix as you would with a 20 year mortgage.

Paying off the equivalent of €350 a month won't come anywhere close to the 10% overpayment cap Avant offer. So no need to worry about break fees.

Plan for 25 (contractual maturity) but work towards the 20.

Paying off the equivalent of €350 a month won't come anywhere close to the 10% overpayment cap Avant offer. So no need to worry about break fees.
For clarity, it's maximum two overpayments per year.

The longer contractual term is generally the better options.
Worth noting that the mortgage protection life insurance premiums will generally be higher the longer the term. May be a marginal concern in many cases though.

Back