Mortgage switcher and revoked credit card

Natasha W

Hi, just looking for some advice. I had a revoked credit card end of 2016 with PTSB, went payment plan in 2017, paid in full in Feb 2018. We applied for a mortgage with HAVEN in July 2018, was refused due to credit card issue. In Jan 2019, PTSB approved us as they had the history of card and we had a good financial standing etc. Anyway fast forward 4 years, looking to switch as PTSB rates not good for existing customers. Applying to Haven again, and credit card issue has come back up. What are they chances we will be approved for switch? Anyone have something similar? I have had a loan and credit card since getting the mortgage and have a good credit history now. Can't believe this is still haunting me :(

Hi Natasha, as far as I know, information is held on the Central Credit Register for up to 5 years. Noting that you paid your credit card in full in February 2018, your credit record should be clean by February 2023. Come February, it might be worth checking your credit record before making another application for a switcher mortgage.

I experienced it years ago with an old loan that had been slightly in arrears (I fell behind and it took an additional 2 months to catch up and clear in full). BOI didn't update the loan after the original term making it look like there was 2 months left unpaid. I was getting turned down on loans even though it was 5 years later and checked credit record. BOI remediated it and on subsequent check the loan was gone.
Seeing that you only have 6 months to go you might be better off waiting the 7 months or so until its disappeared off your record. You'll have a better choice of lenders then and they'll less likely to load you because of your credit record.

Hi Natasha,

Hope you don’t me adding to this older post, however, I’m curious… did the revoked credit card disappear from your credit report in February 2023?

Back