Mortgage refusal or mortgage offer withdrawn/reduced

Y

Yvonne Hogan

Hello,

I am the property editor with the Irish Independent and we are looking for people willing to be interviewed and photographed for an article we are doing on the fact that lending rates are down and that people who would typically have been approved for a mortgage last year, are not being approved this year. We are also interested in talking to people who have had amounts offered reduced or rescinded altogether.

You can contact me at [email protected],

regards,

Yvonne Hogan

we are doing on the fact that lending rates are down

I think you mean up. As in; you march them up to the top of the hill and you march them down again.

It is a bit ambiguous, apologies. The rate of lending as in the number of loans offered, not the rates at which the money is loaned.

Hello,

I am the property editor with the Irish Independent and we are looking for people willing to be interviewed and photographed for an article we are doing on the fact that lending rates are down and that people who would typically have been approved for a mortgage last year, are not being approved this year. We are also interested in talking to people who have had amounts offered reduced or rescinded altogether.

You can contact me at [email protected],

regards,

Yvonne Hogan
So - dissatisfied customers only need apply?

If you're doing a piece on people who bought a house recently and are very happy you could contact me?

I suppose it's easier and more profitable to write the bad news stories??

for god's sake what's with all the sniping? it seems a pretty straightforward request

....and it's an area affecting a lot of people who have suddenly had their mortgage deals torn up. anway, sorry to go on, just tired to see posts being knocked for no good reason

and btw QED, you woudn't be in "the trade" by any chance? "good news stories"?

If you're doing a piece on people who bought a house recently and are very happy you could contact me?

I suppose it's easier and more profitable to write the bad news stories??

hmmm - "Sensation: Interesting stories sell newspapers"

why would anyone not related to you be interested in hearing about you living happily at home

Ok, I accept it was a bit of a cheap shot - Of course journalists are going to chase stories that sell newspapers / airtime etc.

However, I do think that these articles are damaging to the economy and make people afraid to take normal healthy risks (e.g. explore a decision to expand business or do something as simple as buying a new fridge). Such a change in attitude, if not based on the full facts, will slowly choke an economy and make the downturn last longer.

Each business and personal finance decision should be fully considered on its own merits and not be prejudiced by the experience of others.

P.s. I am not "in the trade" but do agree with the economy spending its way out of a downturn.

On a slightly different point - Why doesn't the government pay unemployed tradesmen to build / renovate schools rather than paying them dole for doing nothing??

Ok, I accept it was a bit of a cheap shot - Of course journalists are going to chase stories that sell newspapers / airtime etc.

However, I do think that these articles are damaging to the economy and make people afraid to take normal healthy risks (e.g. explore a decision to expand business or do something as simple as buying a new fridge). Such a change in attitude, if not based on the full facts, will slowly choke an economy and make the downturn last longer.

So you are advocating censorship are you? No negative articles. What you have said up above is very contradictory because you are talking about basing thing on full facts yet you are criticising negative coverage.

I will go a step further and suggest that alot of coverage in the last couple of years, which put a overly positive spin on economic news was more detrimental. Developers built useless apartments in backwaters and young people bought them out of fear having been mislead through talk of soft landings.

Hard unpalatable facts will bring this country to the other side of a recession faster than censorship and spin

Whats in it for the people being interviewed? Other than getting their face in the paper

Groom - I am not advocating censorship but the negative stories always get more prominence and they can unduly affect the mood of the public at large leading to an unhealthly slowdown in activity.

The economic climate has made it more difficult but there is a very important difference between Spending and Investing. What I'm saying is that we do not want negativity to discourage individuals / businesses /entrepreneurs at the first hurdle. Let all decisions be fully evaluated before making a decision.

On a slightly different point - Why doesn't the government pay unemployed tradesmen to build / renovate schools rather than paying them dole for doing nothing??
Because they then have to pay to staff and maintain them

Back