Mortgage Rates - APR v's Std rates

Delboy

I know there's been quiet a bit written on this but I can't seem to get it all clear in my head, despite reading through some old posts.

The APR "takes account of cost outlays that are payable at the beginning of a mortgage, which are additional to the interest payable". Fair enough.
I'm now a few years into my mortgage and am wondering whether to fix or not. So the 'cost outlays' at the beginning of my mortgage are dealt with. For a true picture now of comparing rates between 1,3 and 5 years, as well as pitting banks against each other....should I now be looking at the Std Rate?
Also which rate do the banks use to calculate interest? Is it APR or the Std rate ( I'm with BoI and according to my statement, interest is added every 1/4). The more I read on this the more confused I become :confused:.

When comparing fixed rates the APR will take into consideration the fact that you will default on to a variable rate. This rate could be higher or lower than the fixed rate. The rate quoted ie. the fixed rate is what you'll be charged for the fixed rate period the apr is the average of this figure & the variable rate over the entire term of the loan.

Reading that back I would say it makes about as much sence as the info the bank have given you!

Back