Mortgage protection insurance in SO

Brooklyn

The Housing Minister said this in the Dáil this week in response to a question about shared ownership mortgage protection insurance:

The local authority mortgage protection insurance scheme is overseen by the Mortgage Protection Committee which is a sub-committee of the County and City Managers association (CCMA) and is representative of the CCMA, local authorities, the Housing Finance Agency and my Department.

The Committee recently held a tender competition with a view to putting a new scheme in place from 1 January 2009. A final decision on the winning tender is due shortly. It is also intended that the rental portion of shared ownership will be incorporated into the new scheme.

Does this mean we going to have pay even higher mortgage protection insurance premiums to cover the local authority's share of the property?

I do not know the answer to your question but I am sure a new scheme will be obligatory and continue to offer poor value for money for most individuals(i.e a one size fit all package takes no account is taken of a persons age, health etc and we all pay the same ~0.5% on top of mortgage rate)

It would be fairer if we were permitted to shop around for our mortgage insurance like other consumers.

I am hoping to remortage once the the new Affordable Housing bill is enacted and also replace this insurance with a similiar one from private sector.

I am hoping to remortage once the the new Affordable Housing bill is enacted and also replace this insurance with a similiar one from private sector.

Same here, although in the current climate I have my doubts whether I'll be able to get a proper mortgage :(

Back