Mortgage paid off, but more expense

Bessa

We paid off a Mortgage this week on an investment property, and requested that the deeds be returned to us. The person that we dealt with was told to tell us that it costs 60 euro to get the deeds back. Paid off at least five other Mortgages with this bank in the past and no charges for any of the other sets of deeds. We asked if this was a new charge and the bank person said no. Has anyone else paid to get deeds from the bank?

Yes we paid it. The bank has to let the Land Registry know that the mortgage has been paid off and that they no longer hold a charge over the property. It probably covers the banks admin fees....not sure though.

It may be a case that you being such a good customer that this charge was waived previously but that now all fees and charges must be applied.

I know you are probably complaining about the principle of it, but if I had just reached the point of clearing my mortgage, another €60 wouldn't take a wrinkle out of me tbh.

I know you are probably complaining about the principle of it,

Thats exactly what was rattling me. I thought it was a hit by the bank as they will be loosing money over the term of the Mortgage.

Thanks for all your replies.

Back