mortgage life assurance + overweight

lulu1

Hey there

I am in the process of submitting a mortgage application - next step is life assurance. Made the decision to have permanent weight loss surgery 12 months ago and have lots shed loads of weight -however, I am still coming in over bmi 30 so am still obese (also not the tallest which doesn't help stop sniggering!)- obviously outlook on further weight loss is very positive it being a permanent situation and all - but I am very worried about disclosing all of above to mortgage provider because I am worried I won't get life assurance and so won't get mortgage. I have no other health problems am in my mid 30's, sailed through first mortgage application/life assurance cause I fibbed about height weight ratio - obviously knew this would have invalidated life assurance if I died but with no dependents what did I care I'd be dead anyway.

However, may decide to have dependents in future so would rather be on the level now but am worried that I may be declined life assurance based on current bmi - what to do? help!

The weight has to be off for a year before they take it into consideration. My neighbour had the exact procedure done and waited for one after the operation before applying for life insurance. He paid normal premiums. Don't waste your money if you are going to lie about your weight.

My neighbour .. paid normal premiums.

Can I find out what insurance company insured your neighbour?

If you lie about anything medically for life cover, the cover you are paying for may technically be wasted premiums (because they may not payout for non disclosure).

You will not know until you apply for the cover (you could apply with several companies, differant companies may take differant views on your circumstances).

Thing is, even if you wait a year you will still have to disclose this surgery. My point is that in my experience with Life Insurers they take each application on its merits at that time.

My neighbour .. paid normal premiums.

Can I find out what insurance company insured your neighbour?

It was Caledonian but there were 2 others that were willing to give normal premiums; Friends First and I think New Ireland. Irish Life charged a higher premium because of BMI and age. Could be different for you though.

Back