Mortgage lenders agree framework to facilitate switching from vultures

peemac

Looks like the campaign has had some affect

https://www.irishtimes.com/your-mon...s-for-vulnerable-mortgage-borrowers-welcomed/

If I read this correctly, if you are with a vulture fund paying high interest and can show 24 months of clean credit history, you will be able to move to one of the main banks.

The funds win because they get full payment and can invest elsewhere. Customer wins because they can access far lower rates and main banks win because they have more homes for their low rate deposit book.

Should have been done months ago

If I read this correctly, if you are with a vulture fund paying high interest and can show 24 months of clean credit history, you will be able to move to one of the main banks.
I don't think it's as good as that.
What all the main lender have agreed is a standard 'minimum' criteria before they'll look at switching applications.
But I do think it's a positive, especially if there's some publicity around it aimed at those who in reality could have switched before this, but didn't realise it.

I don't think it's as good as that.
What all the main lender have agreed is a standard 'minimum' criteria before they'll look at switching applications.
But I do think it's a positive, especially if there's some publicity around it aimed at those who in reality could have switched before this, but didn't realise it.
Possibly not for all of them as many will have arrears, but its a start and also an acknowledgment that it is an issue. Maybe the CB will realise that their policies were partly responsible for the corner many find themselves in.

You'd wonder what Phillip Lane's opinion would be on the issue. He certainly had the interests of the consumer to the fore

Should CB remove their mortgage affordability criteria for refinancing, provided the total principal owed is not being increased?

It seems ludicrous that someone who can service vulture repayments could be denied a switch to a mainstream bank because of CB affordability rules (I assume banks would not want to use exemptions on such cases).

Should CB remove their mortgage affordability criteria for refinancing, provided the total principal owed is not being increased?
I can't believe it's so long since we discussed this, but definitely one of the items that makes no sense is the CPC requirement to complete stress testing, which is to protect the borrower. They're already in debt, switching doesn't make it worse.

The old thread:
Thread '+2% Stress Test: A Barrier to Switching' https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/2-stress-test-a-barrier-to-switching.204478/

Hi Red

If the Central Bank were to get rid of the +2% , I doubt it would make much difference. Surely it's good lending practice for the lender to make sure that a new customer can afford an increase of 2%?

They won't want to take on customers who might go into arrears even if it's good for those customers.

Brendan

Most of the mortgages which were performing were split mortgages. If they are still splits with a warehouse, they do not meet the terms of this new framework - i.e. two years of meeting full interest and capital.

The Central Bank should tell us how many non-tracker mortgage customers meet this eligibility criterion.

Brendan

Looks like the campaign has had some affect

The funds win because they get full payment and can invest elsewhere. Customer wins because they can access far lower rates and main banks win because they have more homes for their low rate deposit book.

Should have been done months ago

Reading the press today. Much of the "newly" agreed criteria, is just publicizing essential what is the current state of play. There was no mention of anything new, or anything innovative to help a true mortgage prisoner, not to be confused with someone who because on inertia isn't bothered switching.

The customers who can tick all those box's such as:
Paying capital & interest, no CCR issue for last two years, no bounced DD's, Have clear affordability etc. etc. Even then, their application to switch is reviewed on a case by case basis in line with the individual lenders credit policy.

Customers who can meet those criteria have no issue switching!! But what about the customer who are being told they cant switch, but are showing capacity to pay. I am not talking about distressed cases where people are not paying anything or have no chance to pay anything. I am talking about mortgage customer working very hard making monthly payments, to work themselves back to par and get out of the funds.

A customer with 50K remaining balance on a now, very higher variable rate mortgage, only likely to get more expensive this month with the ECB rate meeting. Currently does not meet the minimum loan per the lending policies of most if not all of those lenders. So that customer is told they can't switch!

What about a customer who is on an ARA? They have been preforming to the terms of it. They might owe 150K, however like most Vulture fund customers. They are generally a little older and the loan was restructured to have them pay until they are in their mid 70's when rates were low. There current higher variable rate mortgage means they are now paying big monthly payments and its eating into savings or making life difficult. If they switched they could get savings. With affordability testing (plus stress testing) against the credit policy of only allowing a mortgage up until 65/70. Spreading those payments over a reduced period means that person fails affordability and then is told they don't meet the lenders policy and then told they cant switch.

The conveyancing process is so long and expensive, when customers who can switch and mange to get a lender to take them. Then go through the whole legal process and in an increasing rate environment end up with a rate higher than they had originally engaged on, which eats into any switching savings. For mortgage prisoners could they give a loan offer for a longer period? Again, just something different.

Where is the innovation? Where are the ideas? Anyone would think the banks don't want these customers!

Charlie Weston is reporting that people with split mortgages can move one month after clearing the split.

If this is correct, it really reinforces the nonsense mentioned by Clubman above.
Split mortgages were classified by the Central Bank as non-performing.
Now they are ok.

Brendan

I contacted BOI yesterday and can’t switch due to affordability rules. I only one working with wife and 2 dependents. I’ve mortgage with pepper paying full capital and interest but also car loan so I didn’t meet criteria to switch.
I would be saving €250 per month if I could have switched

Will try the other lenders mentioned over next few weeks.

Charlie Weston is reporting that people with split mortgages can move one month after clearing the split.

If this is correct, it really reinforces the nonsense mentioned by Clubman above.
Split mortgages were classified by the Central Bank as non-performing.
Now they are ok.

Brendan
I don't understand. If they clear the split doesn't that mean that the mortgage is no longer split? But I'm not sure what "clearing the split" means. Adding the warehoused chunk back to the main mortgage principal and making capital plus interest repayments on the whole lot again perhaps?

I don't disagree with you about the ridiculousness of the CB's criteria for categorising mortgages as non-performing in the past.

Edit: ah, the "clearing the split" issue seems to be explained in the Indo article.
Mr Coan said the BPFI has confirmed to him that those who meet the new criteria will now only need to have been paying full capital and interest for a month to switch.

Last edited:
I contacted BOI yesterday and can’t switch due to affordability rules. I only one working with wife and 2 dependents. I’ve mortgage with pepper paying full capital and interest but also car loan so I didn’t meet criteria to switch.
I would be saving €250 per month if I could have switched

Will try the other lenders mentioned over next few weeks.
Would it be worthwhile you posting a Money Makeover thread in order to garner feedback here maybe?

At least its a start and also an official acknowledgement that it is becoming an issue.

They do need to go further and a more simple "show 2 years of uninterrupted payment on all credit facilities you have" and apply the first time buyers rule of 4 times income multiple would be a more ideal starting point.

I am currently on a split with Pepper (prev PTSB 89k warehoused) this is welcome to try and help us switch. However........
I am uneasy about exiting Split with Pepper to show one month Full payments There is no guarantee that we will get a loan from main street lender , and then we would may find ourself in trouble paying high interest rates on full payments with the fund. What Peemac says above would be better.
Also our term with Pepper is 19 years based on my age, new lenders base on my partners age and will only offer 15 years, I think a lot us got our terms extended so not unless they agree to take us on current terms, switching is made difficult no matter what way you look at it, we are both in Full Time secure jobs so you would think we would be in a good position to switch, but above are my
reasons and I'm sure other people trapped have the same issues.

Hi Duff
How much is on your main mortgage and what is the interest rate?
With €89k in the warehouse at 0% , the average rate will be lower than the headline rate, so the benefit of switching will be less.

Brendan

202k main at 6.36% was 3.7% when moved from PTSB (but expecting this rate to go up) , 89k warehouse.

Back