Mortgage Interest Relief whilst abroad

U

UBBA

I bought my house in Ireland in 2002 and set up my mortgage through the AIB which is paid monthly through another account that I have in another bank in Ireland.
Since then I have moved to Australia (2004), and bought a house there. The house in Australia is now my PPR and I am renting my property in Ireland.
My concern is that I am getting mortgage interest relief on my mortgage since 2002 with the AIB and I wonder am I actually entitled to it as I am now a resident of Australia. AIB are aware that I have left the country with plans to come back perhaps in the next 5-10 years. However, they do not have this in writing only verbally through phonecalls with them since 2004.
What si my position in relation to Mortgage Interest Relief & what should my next steps be to rectify this situation if there is an issue that needs to be resolved.
Thanks...

UBBA said:
My concern is that I am getting mortgage interest relief on my mortgage since 2002 with the AIB and I wonder am I actually entitled to it as I am now a resident of Australia. AIB are aware that I have left the country with plans to come back perhaps in the next 5-10 years. However, they do not have this in writing only verbally through phonecalls with them since 2004.
What si my position in relation to Mortgage Interest Relief & what should my next steps be to rectify this situation if there is an issue that needs to be resolved.
Owner occupier mortgage interest relief is only available to owner occupiers. If you are receiving it then it is your responsibility to contact Revenue to rectify the situation. I'm surprised that Revenue have not noticed this discrepancy if you are dealing with the tax liabilities relating to the rental property as you are supposed to. See the FAQ.

Back