Mortgage Interest Relief & tax

PMan

This query kind of falls between two sections (Taxation and Mortgages & Home Buying) but anyway.

My query is whether Mortgage Interest Relief (MIR) is related to or independent of income tax. Is the 20% of the Mortgage Interest you pay really just a tax credit or does it stand on its own independent of the tax credit system?

An example - if you were not earning a salary for a year but still paying off a mortgage would you be entitled to MIR? Or would your MIR essentially be a tax credit that would go to waste because of the fact that you don’t have any tax to offset it against?

I know that with TRS the MIR does not appear as a tax credit but is that fundamentally the way it works?

I’ve looked on the revenue site and here and while there’s a lot of info about eligibility and TRS I’m not 100% clear on the underlying workings of MIR.

If you read the Revenue documentation on such matters you will see that they refer to reliefs such as mortgage interest relief, SSIA top-up and private health insurance premium relief as tax credits even though they apply at source and benefit those who don't pay tax the same as those who do.

Back