Mortgage Interest Relief Question

idontknow

This may sound like a stupied question, but if one partner doesn't pay tax are they not entitled to the Mortgage Interest Relief?

It doesn't matter-the relief is granted at source at the standard rate, regardless of income etc.

Like some other tax credits (e.g. SSIA topup, private health insurance premiums tax relief, SSIA to pension Penstion Incentive Tax Credit etc.) mortgage interest tax relief is granted at source and so benefits even those who don't otherwise pay tax.

That's cool thanks for that.

One more question for you if you dont mind...

If you previously owned a house and move to a 2nd property. Rent the existing one out. Are you still entitled to the 1st time buyers relief on your principle residence for up to 7 years?

Yes-you are entitled to TRS for 7 years from the date of your first claim-on interest paid in respect of your PPR.

I have had a sole mortgage for 4 years and am now trading up with my partner, the new mortgage will be in both names. How does that work in terms of the TRS? I have 3 years left but she should be due 7 years relief, does the joint mortgage get 3 or 7 years relief? or are we looked at as individuals where I get the 3 and she gets the 7?

Back