Mortgage Interest and P/T working.

ivor james

Today I was approved for a temp payment of 241.90 weekly until my application for JA is processed,The CWO was most helpful and really all the fear and trepidation I had about applying for some kind of help was quite pointless,the fact is if you have all your paperwork etc in order it will be dealt with quite efficiently. Anyway to the crux of my query.

1) I have two children and my wife works P/T. The CWO assesed her earnings as 150euro p.w. Hence the payment of 241.90,she suggested that this figure would be slightly increased when my JA is through but for now thats what they can offer.

2)She also suggested I apply for a mortgage interest supplement,but from reading other threads it would seem to me that because my wifes income of 150 pw would negate any help that might be possible.

3)The weekly rate for my county is actually 190 euro,my interest is more like 250euro

4) I also applied for FIS but this hasnt come through yet so it may have a bearing when it does.

5)From reading the Citizens advice website regarding a means test,it seems there are some disregards when applying for JA but these dont seem to be disregards when i comes to Mortgage supplement,does this now raise the real possibility that I am being penalised for my wife P/T income and that we as a family are better off being totally out of work, if this were true it is surely a terrible contradicion.

6)Please dont think I am just out for all I can get,in 22 years I have never once been out of work but now we need to just get over a few months perhaps less untill I find some kind work,if you see my other thread I did think I had found some warehouse employment but it never materialised.

Thats it maybe someone with a better knowledge of the workings of the SW can work this out. Thanks.

Re Mortgage Interest Supplement:
There are some disregards for income from part-time working (under 30 hrs per week), so I would suggest that you apply as the CWO recommended.

Re "Weekly rate for your county"
Did the CWO mention this to you? There are maximum Rent Limits which are applied, but there aren't specific limits on Mortgage interest - although the legislation mentions "reasonable interest" which some areas link with the appropriate maximum rent limit. Again, don't let this stop you from applying, because even though your interest exceeds the rent limit, you may still qualify.

Re FIS
I presume you mean your wife has applied for FIS? It is taken into account when assessing for Mortgage Interest Supplement, but don't worry about it until it's been approved.

Back