Mort.Pro. cover with Co.Council charged .598% of the Mort. amount

Re: Mort.Pro. cover with Co.Council

Going to the ombudsman for point 2 seems pointless, since its the law that needs to be changed.

Going to the ombudsman for point 2 seems pointless, since its the law that needs to be changed.

with all due respect, its this attitude which makes the Council get away with what we are arguing against. We all need to be pro-active, instead of slating other people's efforts to change. Literally, a 2 min email to the ombudsman would make them take your case Shanegl so you too can do your bit! :) ;)

We all need to be pro-active, instead of slating other people's efforts to change.
Nobody "slated other people's efforts to change" in this thread as far as I can see! :confused:

with all due respect, its this attitude which makes the Council get away with what we are arguing against. We all need to be pro-active, instead of slating other people's efforts to change. Literally, a 2 min email to the ombudsman would make them take your case Shanegl so you too can do your bit! :) ;)

I haven't slated anyone's idea. If anyone wants to waste their time going to the Ombudsman for what is clearly a legislative issue, and the domain of the Dept. of Environment, Heritage and Local Goverment, feel free. I'm just pointing out that it's a waste of time.

On the other hand, if you want to actually do something productive, write to your local TD and the Dept. They'll tell you what they told me, that they're "looking into it".

And the Council aren't "getting away" with anything, they're following the letter of the law regarding the clawback and re-mortgaging. Their hands are tied.

I haven't slated anyone's idea. If anyone wants to waste their time going to the Ombudsman for what is clearly a legislative issue, and the domain of the Dept. of Environment, Heritage and Local Goverment, feel free. I'm just pointing out that it's a waste of time.

On the other hand, if you want to actually do something productive, write to your local TD and the Dept. They'll tell you what they told me, that they're "looking into it".

And the Council aren't "getting away" with anything, they're following the letter of the law regarding the clawback and re-mortgaging. Their hands are tied.

My local TD raised this as a PQ in the Dail in May during the last Govt. It is on further advice that I am with the Ombudsman. FYI the mortgage protection was brought in in 1986. That is the point I am making with the Ombudsman: its is out-dated.
So, from some one who has researched this topic, already spoken to their TD and had him raise it in a Dail sitting in May 2007 ( from my understanding you just sent a letter ) the Ombudsman is not a waste of time. Rather it is the next step.
i hope your comments will not discourage others from writing to the Ombudsman.

thanks mlouisa i will certainly send off an email now i have already written to the affordable housing partnership and they said they will bring it to the attention of the department of Environment, Heritage & Local Government. I will keep you all posted

I'm talking about the clawback when remortgaging, not Mortgage protection. I thought I made that clear? :confused:

Mort. protection may well be an issue for the Ombudsman, but the affordable housing legislation is certainly not.

there seems to be confusion around as to the role of the Ombudsman: basically if you make a complaint request to a gov deparment, eg my PQ did not get the desired reponse from Dept of Environment, then you write to the Ombudsman. It's job is to deal with complaints against Gov Departments. It is not for particular issues, just any complaint against a Gov department. If the office feels your complaint is justified ( they did for my query ) they take it as a case. the council have a specific timeframe to reply to Ombudsmans queries. So they cant let it go on for months.

Aren't people referring to the Financial Services [broken link removed] here and not any other that might exist?

i just went to ombudsman. ie and got email address

I feel strongly about this issue too but I'm not going to raise it until it is an actual problem for me (ie, I'm still on the waiting list). However, I did ring the financial services ombudsman about it and they confirmed it is the regular ombudsman who would deal with this sort of complaint.

quick question just filling in complaint to ombudsman just wondered where is says what public body do you wish to complain about it, i presume it should be fingal county council?

Yes i agree totally as an independent broker if i acted like the co councils i would be de regulated by ifsra and rightly so lets all bring this to the fso and get it put right

quick question just filling in complaint to ombudsman just wondered where is says what public body do you wish to complain about it, i presume it should be fingal county council?

Yes, or whatever council you bought your house from.

According to their website, there is a 30 day limit for financial institutions to respond to requests for information from the FSO's office. I understand this limit is pretty strictly applied.

[broken link removed]
An update on this specific point - I received this email from the FSO this morning in relation to my ongoing complaint against Equitable Life:
The Bureau aims to complete the investigation of a complaint within 60 working days of receipt of all necessary documentation and issue a Finding. This is the aim of the bureau but it is not set in stone and further information may be required from either party and it may take time for either party to supply said information

Back