More Clerical Sex abuse

Purple

"Bishops and other leaders of the Roman Catholic Church in Pennsylvania covered up child sexual abuse by more than 300 priests over a period of 70 years, persuading victims not to report the abuse and law enforcement not to investigate it, according to a searing report issued by a grand jury on Tuesday."
The NY Times article is well worth reading.

Over 1000 victims identified. 300 priests over 70 years.
And yet the Vatican knew nothing about any of it. It is, truly, a miracle.

Rotten to the core and there leader is going to be paraded around this country like a prized bull.

Not interested. Heard it all before.

So long as we continue to condone this type of behavior by tolerating church involvement in our own education system we have no right to sympathize with victims as if we were not complicit.

If I was given the option, I would have the church removed from any involvement with national schools. They can run as many of their own, private schools as they please. Unfortunately, I don't have any way to have them removed from running national schools. Does that mean that I should not sympathise with victims, or that I am somehow to blame for the actions of abusive clerics?

If I was given the option, I would have the church removed from any involvement with national schools. They can run as many of their own, private schools as they please. Unfortunately, I don't have any way to have them removed from running national schools. Does that mean that I should not sympathise with victims, or that I am somehow to blame for the actions of abusive clerics?

I am afraid it does mean that you, and all the rest of us, are somewhat to blame.

We have no problem recognising that Irish society of the past was to blame for condoning women being sent to mother and baby homes, or children sent to industrial schools.

Our fault today is greater, because we cannot claim to be unaware of the dangers.

Back