Spouse- €2900 pm. Public Sector

number of children:2 (3.5yrs & 1mth)
Amount of child benefit received €260
Amount of Mortgage Interest Supplement received- None
Home loan-€429,000
Lender: UBL
Amount outstanding: €429,000
Value of home: €250,000
Interest rate: specify whether tracker or SVR or fixed rate- .95 Tracker Monthly repayment – €1,311
Amount in arrears - €2,100

Summary of discussions and agreements with the bank-

Broker had arranged interest only for 1st 5 years, we tried to get this extended and have been refused, due to the RIP according to the underwrighters. Also thanks to very poor customer service on the banks behalf we were not infromed of this decison until the day before new payment was due. So for 2 months we paid the intrest only portion + €200 and are now paying full and will deal with the arrers in full by end of august.

Investment property – 1 (this was my residence before we married)

Lender: KBC
Amount outstanding: €235,000
Value of home: €100,000 (Max)
Interest rate: SVR
Monthly repayment: €1487.00 (currently paying €550 on a reduced payment plan until December 1st)
Amount in arrears :NIL
Monthly rent received : €610 (Less monthly costs of €200)

Other loans

Personal loan BOI - €618pm

Childcare after discounts is €1600pm

We are prioirising the family home and did borrow on the RIP and want to pay but even if we went interest only on it (€1,100) and 'burned' BOI on the personal loan we would be left with less than the resonable living expenses to live on. (also ours would be about €150 higher pm than published due to my son and I both having chronic conditions). This would also in my view be just delaying the ineviatable as the negitave equity in the RIP is unlikley to recover within the term of the mortgage

We met with new beginnings (who are excellent) 2 months ago who advised us that a PIA might be the way to go, some great discussion on this site so would like to hear what other options I may not have considered as this is causing a lot of stress and disagreements in the house.

Thanks

RM

monthly income|€5,850
Reasonable Living Guidelines |€3,585
Available to pay creditors and mortgage |€2,265
Interest on home loan|€535
Available for other creditors|€1,728

Even if you pay the full repayment on your home loan, you will still have over €1,000 per month available for paying other creditors.

Investment property
Rent received after expenses| €410
Interest on mortgage @5%| €1,000
Shortfall|€600

So even after paying the full repayment on your home, you have enough to meet the shortfall on the investment.

You don't say how much you owe on the personal loan to Bank of Ireland.

I suggest the following which makes your loans repayable outside a PIA

1) Switch KBC to interest only. You are on the SVR, so they should accept this.
2) Switch UB to interest only until BoI is paid off
3) Resume normal payments to UB when BoI is paid off

UB might not go for this, although they have been very flexible in deals recently.

So your new position is

monthly income|€5,850
Reasonable Living Guidelines |€3,585
Available to pay creditors and mortgage |€2,265
Interest on home loan|€535
Shortfall on investment|€600
BoI unsecured loan|€610
Surplus|520

If I was Ulster or KBC I would veto a PIA. There is no need to write off capital.

Ulster might argue that your position is unsustainable and suggest that you sell the family home and move into the investment property . You will have an unsecured loan of €180,000 on a cheap tracker which you could easily afford to repay over 20 years.

Another possibility is that you might ask UB to give you a trade down mortgage and use it to buy the investment property as your family home.

1) Sell family home for €250k
2) Owe UB €180k
3) Borrow €55k extra from UB
4) Pay off mortgage on investment which is the new family home

New position:

family home|€100k
Mortgage|€235k
Repayments|€700 per month

Another variation if the investment property is not suitable as a family home, is that UB will give you a trade down mortgage to buy a new property for €150k. This would reduce your repayments to €1,000 a month. Probably not worth doing.

Back