Money taken from A/C by company without permission

shipibo

A Chairde,

Friend of mine has an issue.

A Company he dealt with in past has taken 200 Euros from his A/C without his permission.He informed bank (aib), who stated money would not be released until matter was investigated, a week later checked his A/C and money was gone !!!

He was informed that they will investigate this with company , and inform him in 2 weeks ...... , they basically stated that because he had done business in past using Credit Card , that there was no way of stopping this happening !!!!!!!

Has anybody similar experiences, is there a solution , If I purchase from a company , I assume the details are only to be used for one off transactions, not indefinitely.

Had he a direct debit mandate signed in relation to this company or had he filled out a form which he needed to supply the CC details and it was some sort of subscription that could be renewed unless cancelled?

Otherwise I would have thought the company couldn't take money from his account and the bank would have to honour it.

He would need to get the details of how he supplied the company with his bank/CC details in the first place and see if he signed anything to allow the above transaction to take place!

This was not a direct debit , he went on some courses with the company, and paid by credit card .He did not get all the training he paid for, this was their fault, and so they had money belonging to him ($973).

He purchased some goods off them, and price was estimated to be $580 , but when he got final invoice, it was $1180 !!!

Under Irish legislation, the Credit card company is jointly liable with the supplier for the supply of the goods. For example, if you pay a deposit on furniture, and the company goes bust, the Credit Card company must refund the deposit.

Your case is a bit different. Is your friend in disupute about the price? If they are not in dispute, and they don't refund the amount, then the Credit Card company should refund the amount.

However, in practice, it is better to sort it out with the supplier first. If that fails, target the Credit Card company.

A company cannot simply charge you for something they have not supplied. But the Credit card company cannot refund it immediately. They must get the supplier's version of events before taking any action.

This sounds like one of those scumbag network sales companies where they 'train' you at your expense to sell 'their' cack products.

Name it please.

Alright Tonka, Bren,

The Company is,nt that type of company generally.

My friend is a Fitness / Strength Coach, and was ordering specific supplements; they have rates for trainers, and normal people (30 - 40 % markup).

The new prices are not listed anywhere, they just sent him invoice , and took the money.

crumdub12 said:
The new prices are not listed anywhere, they just sent him invoice , and took the money.
So what was on the form where he filled in his card details - Did he sign a blank authorisation?

RainyDay,

He signed no forms, he ordered supplements from third party company thru the company charging him, the third party only ships in US, he asked if there would be a "Handling Charge" , they said no. They were supposed to post them, and he would pay the postage.

My real worry is to do with taking money from A/C using credit card details from a previous transaction. He did not OK storage of said details for future transactions.

crumdub12 said:
This was not a direct debit , he went on some courses with the company, and paid by credit card .He did not get all the training he paid for, this was their fault, and so they had money belonging to him ($973).

He purchased some goods off them, and price was estimated to be $580 , but when he got final invoice, it was $1180 !!!

crumdub12 said:
He signed no forms, he ordered supplements from third party company thru the company charging him, the third party only ships in US, he asked if there would be a "Handling Charge" , they said no. They were supposed to post them, and he would pay the postage.

I have to say that I'm a bit confused. It might help if you explain exactly what transactions took place with what companies.

However, in general, if he didn't sign an authorisation form, a simple chargeback via his credit card merchant should sort it out.

dont care really seeing as these 'supplements' and those who deal in them are all dodgy as hell anyway

Tonka,

dont care really seeing as these 'supplements' and those who deal in them are all dodgy as hell anyway.

This is a generalization, and sounds like you know little about the subject.

The products were not illegal, mainly O-3 Oils and fenugreek seed, the reason the company posted to him , was third party do not have a contract to ship outside US with their carrier, wheras other company has.

As my friend has a good relationship with them , he asked would they forward them onto Ireland.

If any illegal substances were imported , customs would come down on you like a ton of bricks, as the cork athlete before last olympics found out.

i had a similar issue, i moved recently from the uk back to ireland and cancelled my aol membership in January last. I was supposed to be able to check email and use my account until the end of February. Moving date was on 21 february. On reviewing uk statements in april, noticed that payment was taken for feb and march. I tried to contact aol, but couldnot get a satisfactory answer, am using internet banking and tried to cancel dd, but surprise, no direct debit to cancel. I contacted the bank and they said they couldnt stop it, Uk high street bank. eventually in june after 5 month payments someone suggested i contact the fraud transaction department, Where i disputed the transactions (they can only dispute 3 of them others are too old) They are looking in to it, and will not allow any more payments.

It is completly baffling how this can occur, I know i gave aol authority to take payments, but surely canceling it online same as authorising it online.

Back