Money still in my account - what will I do?

There was a case a couple years ago with an Irish guy whose account was mistakingly credited by the bank with 250k. He kept it, the bank pursued it but the legal ruling was that since the bank made the error, they couldn't legally force the person to hand it back. They had to rely on his honesty. Does anyone remember this?

It would be worth checking the legal position here if the amount is substantial.

I seem to recall foreign exchange was involved and the decimal point ended up in the wrong place. He ended up in Spain with the money. There was court action, but jurisdictional issues. I think they compromised. I don't remember it being all that clear that (as Theo suggests) the bank was in the wrong and was not entitled to reclaim the money.

I'd be very wary of going down the legal road. The larger the amount involved the more expensive the legal fees and hassle as the bank surely won't want to roll over. Besides, "in the course of justice, none of us should seek salvation".

They guy eventually did return the money less an undisclosed amount(what he'd spent-10K I heard rumoured at the time)!!!

Back