Money lost in Express Lodgements

cuchulainn said:
i lodge with boi and they have informed me in my local branch NEVER to put cash into the express lodgement box. said it was for cheque lodgements only.

I guess not all branches are the same..................

The express lodgement envelope at my local boi branch actually states that you can lodge cash (notes only) up to a maximum of €1,000.

Joe1234 said:
The express lodgement envelope at my local boi branch actually states that you can lodge cash (notes only) up to a maximum of €1,000.
Complete folly to lodge cash in that manner.

Getting back to the point here, I was responsible for assuming (and therefor making others assume) that the bank in question was AIB - apoligies. You need to get to your bank manager and indeed accompany your mother in this meeting. I'm sure your mother is very capable but two people will show the manager that you are very concerned. Make sure you mention (as stated by previous poster) that you will be reporting this 'theft' to the police and perhaps mentioning going to media sources to 'warn' others of this practice. Bring a notepad and pen to the meeting and jot down all correspondance even going to the extreme of asking the bank manager to spell 'responsibilty' when he states they cannot accept it. That should shake him up nicely.

There must be video evidence - I'd be surprised if the bank doesn't have this.

Marion

Video evidence is worth mentioning though when wiggles and mother go and talk to the manager. It is unlikely that somebody who was trying to pull a fast one would seek to get video evidence from the bank.

Marion

I think RainyDay's point is important. You need to establish the bank's version of events. Do they dispute receiving the envelope, or are they saying it was empty? Try to get this in writing.

I wouldn't mention the media on the first attempt - you don't want it to seem like a shakedown. I think you should report it to the police regardless. They may be able to get video evidence showing your mother using the express lodge facility, and possibly more.

MugsGame said:
I think RainyDay's point is important. You need to establish the bank's version of events. Do they dispute receiving the envelope, or are they saying it was empty?

They are basically disputing receiving it.

I think my POA from reading all your excellent posts is to approach the manager. Get him to idenify the banks postion on the policy of people being told to use express lodgements and what the banks line is on what can be done about the missing money. Inform him that the Gardai and IFSRA will be contacted of the theft if immediate resolution is not given.

The video evidence is a good one as well and I would love to know how there lodgements are opened by the staff.

I will update the tread once I know more.

My mother lodged cash into Express Lodgement some time ago - about 160 euro - for brother in college. Then he rang and told her there was only 100 in his account. She went into the bank (BOI) and explained. Apparently they maintained that only 100 was in the envelope - my mother argued the case and the Bank refunded the missing 60 - no explanation was given. Although don't banks have a special fund for missing money like this such as ATM Scams - money usually refunded...

elcato said:
even going to the extreme of asking the bank manager to spell 'responsibilty' when he states they cannot accept it. That should shake him up nicely.
I love it - I must use that one sometime soon.

Back