Mondeo Fix - Is this expensive?

delisha

can anyone tell me am i being robbed? my 02 mondeo began losing power so brought it to mechanic (friend of a friend) he replaced timing chain and tensioner. still wasn't right so brought it to a main dealer on tues 11th april. they said heater plug needed replacing. rang on the fri said the four heater plugs needed replacing but hadn't come in yet. this went on a bit, then rang 22nd and he said it still backfiring so he getting it rechecked. rang yesterday said it needs a good bit of work and he wud get back to me with a price. rang me today with a quote for e1600!!! i asked him to tell me exactly what needs to be done. he said top of engine has to be stripped to reset timing chain and htere is an oil leak because something wasn't sealed right, replace a manifold gasket, then put a cover back on. can anyone tell me does this sound right??

I take its a diesel Mondeo?

A backfire sounds like a probable timing issue. The heater plugs / glow plugs won't effect performance, they are only used to get the engine started.

Resetting the timing usually means stripping the side of the engine rather than the top, similar with (inlet ?) manifold gasket and heater plugs bolt in without any work other than taking the old ones out.

I don't know about the oil leak, but it all sounds like a lot of money and a ridiculous amount of time and hassle for some basic work.

As mentioned glow plugs only effect startup on a diesel.

Maybe they mean injector problems.

Main dealer mechanic is not isnpiring confidence in me from what you have written.

hey frank, no its definately not injector problem coz i asked him if he replaced the injector( we thought that was the initial problem) but he said he didn't coz it was fine. he also said the "work" will take two days! presuming this is where the large bill is coming from-all the labour.

sounds like the mechanic you have doin your car hasnt a clue.mondeo diesels have a few common faults causing lack of power that the computers dont show up. and the chain tensioner on the 2lt is not one of them.as for the oil leak id say they didnt put a new timing cover on it they just resealed the old old one never works.glow plugs will not effect the cars performance just cold starting to be honest 1600 is extreme still for replacing a timing tensioner we would normally be around 600 ish including new covers and all the relavent parts.

i think goin by the sounds of it they are just guesiing where are you based

hey ford jedi,
they not even relacing timer or tensioner- that was done by someone else. but this ford guy said it wasn't set right and there is a leak. said they have to strip part of engine and reset it and replace a cover and do something to a manifold gasket- im car ignorant as u might have guessed. he said if work not done it will destroy engine. im based in galway but its not the main dealer in galway city, its another dealer outside city.

Back