Monasterevin vs Kildare

Globalist

I'm currently an expat in the Middle East but my wife and I are starting to think seriously about relocating to Ireland and what that might look like. Realistically, we want to be commuting distance from Dublin as our likely employers will be based there, predominantly in and around Citywest.

We are looking for a place that has a small town feel and reasonable house prices, yet good transport links to Dublin and other vibrant towns.
Kildare and Monasterevin come to mind. A Google map search indicates 34 minutes from Monasterevin to Citywest, 30 minutes from Kildare to Citywest.

With the M7 widening finished, traffic jams should be greatly reduced. In any case, in my industry, one can typically work from home 2 days per week and the rest of week flexitime is a given.

With new 4-bd detached houses going for under 320k in Monastervin I'm giving it serious consideration.
What I would like to hear are reasons why Monasterevin might not be a good option.

Naas and Newbridge seem too expensive; Naas also seems too suburban for our liking. Kildare doesn't seem to have much in the way of 4-bed detached new builds.

Many thanks,

Depending on what your needs are you should also look at:

Schools
Transport links
Community Groups
Shops
Churches
Services incl broadband (some areas of the country are still poorly covered)

Even if these items aren't important to you now, they are likely to be important to anyone who one day buys your house.

A Google map search indicates 34 minutes from Monasterevin to Citywest, 30 minutes from Kildare to Citywest.

Just bear in mind that commute will get longer once the schools are back. City-bound traffic can be slow on the N7, building up well before Citywest.

Back