Moderate inheritance, no investment experience

KatieMay

I'm in my mid 50s and have worked on a freelance basis for the last 20+ years - am a sole trader in tax terms and not a high earner. I own my home (no mortgage) but have made no pension provision. Until recently I'd children in college, but they are finished and working and I've no dependents now.

I have a small amount of savings, but definitely not enough to live on for very long after retirement. I don't plan on retiring at 65, though who knows - but there is no reason that I cannot continue working as long as I like and am able to.

I will shortly have an inheritance of somewhere between €80k and €100k. Other than just sticking it into the bank, I've no idea what would be the wisest/best way to get the most benefit from this money over the medium-longer term. I'd appreciate any advice, I really haven't a clue. I have only ever earned enough to live on and save a small amount. While not profligate, I've obviously - given my lack of retirement planning - not been particularly wise either, so I'd like to make the most of this.

Hi KatieMay

Welcome to AAM.

As you might expect, posters will take different approaches to this question but here's what I would do if I was in your shoes:-
  • If there are any improvements that you think would make your home more comfortable (double glazing, improved insulation, etc.) then look after those things first;
  • Use half the balance of the inheritance to buy 5-year State Savings Certificates from An Post; and
  • Use the other half to buy a global equity investment trust - something like Foreign & Colonial Investment Trust plc (founded in 1886 and still going strong!).
Here's a thread on broker costs, taxes, etc that you might find helpful -
https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/summary-of-stock-market-investment-costs.194304/

You might also want to consider starting a pension - it really is the most tax efficient way to save for your golden years.

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much, that all seems very wise advice. I read the thread you linked to and now I've a headache! But I'll go back and read it a couple of times again and it'll eventually make more sense to me.

I sort of thought I'd missed the boat entirely on pensions, but is it still worth looking at? If I am honest pensions terrify me. All you ever seem to hear about them is people losing everything, or only getting a fraction of what they expected or invested - years of savings down the drain. Perhaps that just the stuff that makes the news and is giving me a warped view.

The only time I ever 'invested' in anything was years ago when a broker sold me an endowment mortgage, which was a total disaster and put me off both investments and brokers for life. But I realise I urgently need to start wising up.

Back