Mock revenue Audit

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheeler

Is there a service that will provide a mock revenue audit to see how you would stand up to review?

I know of one particular accountancy firm that does (as i used to work there) and i am sure that many others would provide similar ones.

The level of work to be done by the accountant (and accordingly the cost of such a service) depends several factors including the level of detail that you wish them to scrutinise, the complexity of the tax etc. If you have good records, have obtained professional advice on any transactions where you are unclear of the tax treatment and have proper records then a mock audit may not be necessary.

Don't know about a service provider for mock revenue audits but there was a fairly lengthy article in last Sunday's sbp about revenue audits which might be of interest to you in terms of what revenue look out for and what info. you need to provide for them etc. - worth a read imo.

Fiona

Have you been told you will have a Revenue Audit? If so, you should get your accountant to represent you at the audit.

You will be given an opportunity to tell the Inspector as he begins his audit, if there are any issues you want to disclose to him. You should avail of this opportunity.

Brendan

Thanks for the advice.

I am not being audited and have accounts in order but I am a worrier and the more checks I have in place the better I sleep.

As anecodtal evidence that may help you quest for sleep, i am aware of some people that have been audited by Revenue as part of a routine audit.

The consensus is that while the actual audits themselves are a pain, they are usually conculded quickly where the person keeps correct records and are not trying to "put one over on the tax man".

If you have some serious errors in your books and are concerned about that then speak to your accountant ASAP and consider the voluntary disclosure as mentioned above.

And if you are notified of an audit, get professional advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back