Mobile phone - will it work ?

U

UptheCats

I am wondering if my Motorola V550 (allegedly quad-band) which is a vodafone ready to go fone will work when I bring it to Florida on hols next week.
Is there anything I need to do before I go, I've looked at vodafone passport but it doesn't mention the states.
I also wonder (if it does work ) how much will it cost me for calls / texts home ??.

Also also, any one changed any money lately, is it still best to preload my CC and do cash withdrawals ??

thanks,

Don't know about Florida, but we are going to South Africa on Friday and will rent a cell phone for about £1 per day. The alternative is to buy a new sim card on a pay as you go basis.

Make sure you call Vodafone and ask them to set you up for global roaming...

Ready to go does not work in states.... somepeople tell me that they can recieve sms but other than that it wont. Is the phone unlocked? If it is you might be able to buy a sim card there. Either way if i were you i'd switch off the phone and enjoy!!!!!

You need to ring Vodafone and ask them to set up a roaming facility on your phone. As far as I know on a pay-as-you go phone they will normally do this as long as you can provide them with credit card details so that you keep a minimum amount of credit on your phone.

all you need to do is to text "subroam" to 50020 before you go. You do not need to register a credit card. I have not been able to make internal calls or calls back to ireland (tried with cingular & t-mobile) but I can send and receive sms. not sure of the sms costs. My phone is a tri-band.

Back