Mobile phone signal booster

cremeegg

Can anyone advise me on a 'mobile signal booster"

Mobile phone reception where I live is poor. I am told that I could buy a mobile signal booster to route the mobile over my broadband, which is good.

I see them for sale on line at prices ranging from €60 to €1,200. Presumably they are not all the same thing but any suggestions would be gratefully received.

What mobile provider do you use?

Vodafone allow telephone calls over a WifFi network if the mobile signal is poor - but you need to turn on the option

Presumably other provider offer something similar

Tesco piggyback on another provider's network - not sure which

Hello,

I've the same problem.

I'm with Vodafone, and I use WiFi calling - it makes a very big difference, providing near perfect signal, for telephone calls.

When I last looked into this, only Vodafone (certain contracts) and Eir, offered WiFi calling.

Neither Three, nor any of the virtual operators (incl. those on the Vodafone network), offered WiFi calling.

I found the lack of providers offering WiFi calling, to be quite annoying, as limited competition results in higher costs. However, once I stated thinking like that, I then got even more annoyed, given I'm paying Vodafone for a mobile phone service on a monthly basis, that they aren't providing, to a satisfactory level.... But all said and done, I need a mobile phone service, and there's no way in hell that I'm doing business with Eir, given their horrific customer service reputation !

Hello,

I've the same problem.

I'm with Vodafone, and I use WiFi calling - it makes a very big difference, providing near perfect signal, for telephone calls.

When I last looked into this, only Vodafone (certain contracts) and Eir, offered WiFi calling.

Neither Three, nor any of the virtual operators (incl. those on the Vodafone network), offered WiFi calling.

I found the lack of providers offering WiFi calling, to be quite annoying, as limited competition results in higher costs. However, once I stated thinking like that, I then got even more annoyed, given I'm paying Vodafone for a mobile phone service on a monthly basis, that they aren't providing, to a satisfactory level.... But all said and done, I need a mobile phone service, and there's no way in hell that I'm doing business with Eir, given their horrific customer service reputation !
GoMo offer it, good value at €15pm too. WiFi calling is far more effective than signal boosters. Only watch out is not every handset is supported by Eir/GoMo but most major brands are.

I have a dual sim Samsung Galaxy S10. I have a Vodafone and GoMo sim. Both work with Wifi calling when I am in bad coverage, even when I am at home with 2/3 bars. It seems to work perfectly.

Why would you think this? EIR/Gomo are no different than any other mobile carrier in Ireland.
You'd think it wouldn't make any difference but it does. For instance, WiFi calling doesn't work on Google's Pixel phones on Eir/Gomo. No such issue with Vodafone.

It's not the handset, it's the network i.e. EIR/Gomo don't support wifi calling is what you're saying.

Had a similar issue years ago. I was previously with O2 and it was fine. Got a work phone and it was with Vodafone and there was no reception. Drove me nuts. Vodafone suggested that I get a booster. I thought it was ridiculous that they couldn't provide a signal when others could, so I got work to change my contract back to O2.

Why would you think this? EIR/Gomo are no different than any other mobile carrier in Ireland.
Different operators use different frequencies.
Some phones (especially those bought online/from China etc.) may not support them all.
This sort of site can be useful (and there are other similar ones) for checking, especially for lesser known brand/model phones.

I think what Nextegg is saying is that not every handset supports wifi calling. Apparently Gomo and EIR both support wifi calling on their network.

I think what Nextegg is saying is that not every handset supports wifi calling. Apparently Gomo and EIR both support wifi calling on their network.
Gomo don't have a network. They're a virtual operator that uses the Eir network.

Back