Mistake on Cheque €10 charge PTSB

Frank

HI all

Maybe I am over reacting but I feel very hard done by.

I have a loyalty account with PTSB with a cheque book.

Apparently I made an error when writing a cheque which caused them to cancel it. A bit of a nuisance but fair enough.

Next thing I see a 10 euro charge on the account. Seems very unfair. A big charge for a small mistake.

I contacted the bank and suggested I was annoyed enough to move banks. The people I have talked to so far, mentioned this is a standard charge nothing they can do.

Am I being unreasonable?

Anyone suggest another Bank for current visa and savings accounts.

I know it will be a pain but I feel strongly enough to move.

It's a standard computer-generated "stop payment" charge.

They probably can't stop it from being debited to your account. However they can refund it as a gesture of goodwill.

If you are otherwise happy with them, you should not move banks.

There is actually a lot of work involved in processing normal cheques. There presumably is a lot more in processing incorrect cheques. I would be very surprised if €10 covers their costs.

Having said all that, there probably should be some scope for goodwill if you are a good customer and it's a once-off.

If you feel strongly about it,escalate it into a formal written complaint. You will probably get your €10 back and you won't have the hassle of moving banks.

Thanks guys

To be honest I know moving banks would be a massive pain in the neck, so with the red mist lulling a bit it will probably end up being an empty threat.

I have 2 different explanations. 1 from wed 2 from today.

1. the pay line appeared to be written in different pen.

2. the number written and numeric did not match stupid mistake if it happened.

I know this is most likely my fault, but as mentioned I think it is worth chasing a goodwill gesture. Better in my pocket.

I reckon I am a good customer. 20 years plus a few middle term savings and visa and current account.

Although I don't make them any money on the visa as I pay off each month on time. So no interest there for the bank.

I will keep at them and see what happens.

Now I must write another cheque carefully for the original payment again.

1. the pay line appeared to be written in different pen.

Can't see how the pay line being in a different pen would invalidate the cheque - I often sign a cheque for a charity I'm involved with and leave it to the other signatory to find out the exact amount or the correct payee (eg Company name) so there could often be 2 or even 3 different pens used on one cheque.

It must have been the numbers not matching - easy mistake to make.

Also - Brendan Burgess encouraging someone to stay with PTSB? :eek:

Thanks guys

It is standard practice for banks to bounce cheques when the written text and the numeric amounts differ.(if they notice it)
The unpaid cheque itself should have been returned to the payee, and if you ask him, he should be able to read the precise reason for returning it unpaid, which will be written on the face of the unpaid cheque.

You probably are over reacting. How would you feel if the bank paid the cheque and it was not the amount you expected to pay. There are worse penalties out there - make a maistake when booking a flight and it will cost you way more than €10.

Back