Missed calls from a scam number?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I answered the phone the other day to an automated call telling me "We have been trying to contact you - your xxx account is going to be terminated..." I just hung up.

I have since got missed calls from

00 353 1 664 2445

and

00 353 1 664 4973

I assumed they were scam calls. I called 664 2445 and it's not in service.

Is there any way to stop these?

I am with Virgin. Can I block a number?

Brendan

Had similar call from 8313516 which looks like an Irish number also.
Usually they are big long numbers so more obvious that it's a scam unless you are expecting call from abroad.

On landline I don't think you can block number. You can on mobile.

Seeing it is showing an Irish number I would report it so it can be followed up by Garda, they may take steps to Inform the public of the no if it is a scam ,

I was getting them there for about 2 weeks. They all appeared to be local telephone numbers no area code. I rang back a few of them. One answered and said they had not rang anybody. They started around 8/9 am and rang several times for the day.

They can spoof phone numbers so that it looks like an Irish number whereas in reality they could be in India/Nigeria etc.

I had assumed that it is a number that if you press redial thinking you are calling a Dublin number, you are actually calling a very expensive premium rate number. That is why I dialled the 664 2445 number without any codes.

But maybe it's more complex than that.

This is weird... so it's not a callback scam. Am guessing if we listened to the message there is a number or website we're supposed to go to to put our card into to stop a non existent account from being de-activated.

I cant figure it out answer and there is nobody there. Some of the numbers that come up are real numbers so you can ring them back. More of a nuisance than anything else.

I got 4 scam calls this morning. Once i hear the bloke say there is a problem with your computer or such like waffle i just hand up

Hi Odyssey

That is what I thought it might be.

But how does pressing 1 put you through to a premium line?

Brendan

I cant figure it out answer and there is nobody there.

They use auto-dialers, quickly cycling through numbers. When one is answered they'll connect to that line, but if more people answer than they have people available to deal with, there'll just be silence on the line.

Hi Odyssey
That is what I thought it might be.
But how does pressing 1 put you through to a premium line?

Actually reading more, that's not quite it sorry for earlier misinformation. Pressing 1 confirms to them you are a real person. I think the next step is they connect you to a person who tries to get you to enter sensitive information on webpage \ relay it them over the phone.
I guess even if they hear a voice at other end it could be an answering machine message.

I got another call this morning but didn't press 1.

Is it safe to press 1 to see what happens?

I would record the call.

Brendan

If you press one its safe as long as you dont download the software / go to website and enter any details.

I had the same happen to me missed call from cyprus ,I actually had phone in my hand and it literally rang once
Number +357 26 080800 I won't be ringing back

This is really alarming and annoying at the same time. Is there any possible way to block those random numbers so they won't call you again? I also got almost same issue like this last January.

Back