"Misery Loves Company" - are we helping inform or just getting ourselves worked up

galleryman

As I read the recent posts and all the contributions, many of which I contributed to, there is a real sence of panic on this forum. Once I leave and get on with life it calms down but once I come back to this forum it's panic stations again.

It begs the question, are we actually helping or just getting each other all worked up?

Is it people like us that start bank runs...????..

your thoughts?

As I read the recent posts and all the contributions, many of which I contributed to, there is a real sence of panic on this forum. Once I leave and get on with life it calms down but once I come back to this forum it's panic stations again.

It begs the question, are we actually helping or just getting each other all worked up?

Is it people like us that start bank runs...????..

your thoughts?

its the clowns running the country and media whom are causing the panic. every channel every newscast and every paper are flaring peoples opinions

Im the opposite, I have felt panic about a particular issue and felt calmer when I saw that either others were in a similar situation or have got a more informed response.
Look at it this way, If you never read anything on here or in the papers etc,would you be making an informed decision..
I do take into account what posters say,espically if there are several saying the same or similar.
Plus sometimes talking( writing/typing about something can actually make things clearer for you..

.... and taking all my money out of BOI has made me less panicky!

With all the lies, lies and more lies that abound I think it's better to err on the side of caution.

People are fearful both online and off .... it's difficult not to pick up on that panic.

I always like to think that the real life situation at present is somewhere between what both sides say in the media.

Its definitely not a gloomy as the likes of RTE, Joe Duffy followers etc say, but maybe not as good looking going forward as the 2 Brians are telling us.

Sensationalist headlines sell papers and get people to watch TV programmes, and thats the main aim of the papers and TV stations.

There's no news like bad news.

Re: Galleryman... eh well there is reason ppl are a tad upset/
Panicking we have a group of ppl running our economy in charge of our future and they are so far removed from reality its scary. They lack any back bone or responsibility and have zero respect and they still have not the integrity to step aside. In every other developed country when politicians are found to be in breach of the law they step aside... here they just stay... like a sack of old spuds. We are all so tired of their self importance...which is attached to their ego's, what is an ego? An ego is a figment of our own imagination, it’s not real. They even pay themselves exhorbent salaries which their counter parts in other EU zones or US would think you were taking the proverbial P. So yes ppl are angry, I am ashamed of my countries politicians, because they never show any integrity, that’s my opinion. Positive thinking, if we can get a new breed of politicians in short term, we can build a great economy again very quickly, of that I am completely sure, we have it all, the people the skills and the drive, just a pity we never realized or rather made them accountable for their actions before we took our eye of the ball but like all mistakes…..you learn! If we do not learn well then same old same old.[FONT=宋体][/FONT]
[FONT=宋体] [/FONT]
M[FONT=宋体][/FONT]

No need to panic because these are normal times; at least this is what I remember since entering the world in the early 50s. The boom years were a freak and will never happen again (well at least in my lifetime - the Germans wont allow it).

Also, look on this forum as a sort of informative medium. Dont believe everything you see here and keep an open mind. Always bear in mind that each contribution here is only one person's opinion and usually it is written to suit hi/her own situation.

Last edited:
One of the positive points of forums like this is that many who have no other way of expressing opinions (other than waiting for some politician to come knocking at their door at election time where the householder would probably be overcome by the strength of the handshake and fierce eye contact of the politician anyway) can say what they feel.

A negative point would be that there are people who have vested interests who are more articulate than most and will hammer away regardless of the opinions of others.

These should be taken in hand whenever the forum is visited.

I agree with the post above.

There are experts on here as well ,who would have a lot of knowledge about a particular subject.

I think posters should look at where someone is coming from before making a decision about some posters views.Sometimes this is difficult to see initially but when they post about one subject only and always in defence you have to think there is a vested interest.

Take for example a particular brand of tea bags, and if any one comes up with an idea to improve how the brand works,the same poster will come back and give a reason why this is unfair.You could be forgiven for thinking that the tea bag company has someone from their PR department on here 24/7 to keep an eye out for any perceived negative comments..

Re:No need to panic because these are normal times; at least this is what I remember since entering the world in the early 50s. The boom years were a freak and will never happen again (well at least in my lifetime - the Germans wont allow it)....
Im not sure if you were being sarcastic when you say these are normal times... I assume you are, or else you are living in your own parrallel universe set in the 1950's complete with oversized Teddy boy hair do! Just a thought.

M
I'm all shuck up!

Well Maximus, I have not been sarcastic, I just remember the economic truth of Ireland since the early 50s. Believe me Frank McCourt was telling no lies. It might be convenient to forget the dreadful times. And when things picked up in the early 80s the interest rate went through the roof (19.5%) - I kid you not.

From where I sit, this recession is a doddle.

Leper, yes I agree wuith 100%. My only issue was that times are not so easy for some ppl in our society, ones which are silent, make no noise and are living the Frank McCourt dream.

To most this recession is a doddle but not all!

Last edited:
Back