Milk price fixing - is it a cartel?

My apologies to all.
I can confirm it is 69c and NOT 69p..I have checked it on my receipt from the shopping I did at the weekend.
So M&S milk is more actually expensive than Dunnes/Tesco/Lidl (and probably Aldi) after all...

Do you mean €0.69/L? If so then that's €1.38/2L which is still dearer than Dunnes/Tesco/Lidl who not sell own brand milk at €1.29/2L. I presume Aldi are the same but haven't checked yet.

Is the price for a 2L carton the same as the price for 2 X 1L cartons? I wouldn't have assumed that it was.

It definitely was in Tesco up to recently - €1.19/2L or €0.60/1L. I presume that this is €1.29/2L or €0.65/L now. I think Dunnes is the same. Lidl and Aldi only sell 2L as far as I know. All own branded milk by the way.

So M&S milk is more actually expensive than Dunnes/Tesco/Lidl (and probably Aldi) after all...

Presumably because the milk is being imported from the UK. We should support our own dairy industry anyway. The dairy farmers have seen their price earned per litre drop steadily, while the shops appear to be increasing it. All the shops do in the whole chain is provide the refrigeration. The milkman working for the Co-op delivers it to the shops, AND stacks it on the shelves. The shopkeeper only gets to handle it when scanning it and getting the huge mark-up placed on it!

Presumably because the milk is being imported from the UK.
As far as I know Lidl and Aldi import their milk from the UK too. NI to be specific.
We should support our own dairy industry anyway.
Will dairy farmers buy the software that I write if times get tough for me? Doubt it... I prefer to shop for value for money.
The dairy farmers have seen their price earned per litre drop steadily, while the shops appear to be increasing it.
As mentioned above retail milk prices seem not to have increased for a long time now. As I mentioned earlier 2L of Strathroy (NI) milk used to sell at £0.99 years ago when cheaper milk started appearing in (Dublin at least) local shops - that's €1.26 in nominal terms and more in real terms so your claim about retail milk price inflation may not be true.
All the shops do in the whole chain is provide the refrigeration. The milkman working for the Co-op delivers it to the shops, AND stacks it on the shelves. The shopkeeper only gets to handle it when scanning it and getting the huge mark-up placed on it!
So what? They are providing a service and where else are people supposed to buy milk other than from a supermarket or their local shop? Not too many areas are served by milk deliveries these days.

Presumably because the milk is being imported from the UK.

I'm pretty sure that it wasn't imported (though I don't have any in the fridge at the moment to double-check). I've been surprised at seeing quite a few of the M&S fresh foods coming from Irish suppliers.

We should support our own dairy industry anyway..
Will dairy farmers buy the software that I write if times get tough for me? Doubt it... I prefer to shop for value for money.

All other things being equal (including price), it makes sense to support Irish producers by buying their produce instead of imports.

As mentioned above retail milk prices seem not to have increased for a long time now.
Not surprising really, as farmers are receiving less per gallon for milk at the farm gate than they received 20 years ago, even in nominal terms (ie without adjusting for inflation). How long this particular trend can last, I don't know...

All other things being equal (including price), it makes sense to support Irish producers by buying their produce instead of imports.
Personally I buy what I like at the level of quality and price that meets my needs. If it happens to be Irish, well and good. But I don't go out of my way to "buy Irish".
Not surprising really, as farmers are receiving less per gallon for milk at the farm gate than they received 20 years ago, even in nominal terms (ie without adjusting for inflation). How long this particular trend can last, I don't know...
True - retail margins have probable increased but, as far as I can see, retail prices may not have done so to the extent suggested earlier. In fact in real terms they may have fallen over certain periods of time.

I was actually comparing 1L milk like for like in Dunnes/Tesco etc.
As I said M&S is 69c for 1 L compared to Avonmore etc in Dunnes which is about €1. So it is cheaper.
Also for comparison purposes M&S milk is €1.19 for 2L compared to Dunnes own brand which is €1.30 or Avonmore also in Dunnnes which is €1.60.

As far as I know Lidl and Aldi import their milk from the UK too. NI to be specific.
As mentioned above retail milk prices seem not to have increased for a long time now. As I mentioned earlier 2L of Strathroy (NI) milk used to sell at £0.99 years ago when cheaper milk started appearing in (Dublin at least) local shops - that's €1.26 in nominal terms and more in real terms so your claim about retail milk price inflation may not be true.
So what? They are providing a service and where else are people supposed to buy milk other than from a supermarket or their local shop? Not too many areas are served by milk deliveries these days.

It just seems the shops get the majority of the profit, and do none of the work, not even stack the shelves!

What sort of software you got Clubman? As large dairy farmers who rely by and large on computerised systems, we might indeed be interested. Although with the price we get per litre of milk produced, you might be outside our budget. If only more people in Ireland supported our industry we might have increased profit margin, allowing us to support other indigenous business people....

Milk has been €1.19 for a long time, maybe 4 years or more based on my kids age, so a rise of ~8.5% is not that much given the nature of inflation in recent years.

Milk is one of the cheapest and most nourishing foodstuffs around.

Bottled water and sugery fizzy drinks are far more expensive.

Milk is one of the cheapest and most nourishing foodstuffs around.

Bottled water and sugery fizzy drinks are far more expensive.

Indeed - but not exactly pertinent to the original query?

I think the point is relevant, and well-made. People for some reason are acutely price-conscious when it comes to milk but are blissfully ignorant of prices and price trends for bottled water, fizzy drinks and (God help us) smoothies, and seem happy to pay almost any price for these latter products. I wonder why this is the case?

How exactly is the price or nutritional content of fizzy drinks or smoothies relevant to this?
I have been buying about 10 litres of milk for the last few years since my kids arrived. "Own brand" milk has always been €1.19 in Dunnes, Lidl and Tesco. I went to Lidl the other day and it had gone up to €1.29. Suprise, suprise when I went to Dunnes this evening it had gone up to €1.29 as well, what a coincidence.

Is this practice legal?

Back