Military Police Speedchecks

nt00deep

On my way to work yesterday, I came across a parked Military Police jeep and the occupant was aiming a radar speed gun at oncoming traffic.

A curious sight. Do they have jurisdiction over public traffic? I did not see any military convoy en route.

maybe they are there to prevent further army deafness claims - from driving too fast with the windows down.

Saw them last year and was a bit bemused so I called to a local Gardai station to ask. they have no power over civilians. the MP are out when the army are moving alot of stuff from base to base.

as davyjones said, they only monitor army traffic. they prob know the route the vehicles are going to take and go there ahead of them so see if they are speeding etc.
not out for the civilians...

Such as traveling down the M50 too fast, too close together and with no seatbelts?

I am a former Mp and the corp do not have any durastiction on public roads except at the request of the civil power. And i m sure the traffic corp are generating lots of revenue and would not like the dept of defence competing :). I have seen the mp on the naas road n7 and m7 and the curragh, probably testing/training or monitoring military traffic. However all personnel on military property/bases are subject to military law.

However all personnel on military property/bases are subject to military law.

And presumably military personnel speeding on public roads are subject to the normal civil law ? Do the Gardaí ever stop military vehicles found to be speeding?

Heard a story once, don't know how true about the airport police in Shannon carrying out speed checks around the airport and if they catch you they can report you to the Gaurds for speeding.

Davyjones,

i take it when you say a lot of stuff you mean the 3 guns, 73 pool tables, 19 dart boards, 103 playstation 3's, 84 Wii's and 210,000 decks of cards they have? Oh and the tea makers!

"Quick there's a bomb in Temple Bar,.... 'ah hold on, we're nearly finished this game of Fifa' 'So I've got time for a quick cup of tea so?' "

Davyjones,

i take it when you say a lot of stuff you mean the 3 guns, 73 pool tables, 19 dart boards, 103 playstation 3's, 84 Wii's and 210,000 decks of cards they have? Oh and the tea makers!

"Quick there's a bomb in Temple Bar,.... 'ah hold on, we're nearly finished this game of Fifa' 'So I've got time for a quick cup of tea so?' "

Are you speaking from knowledge or just making assumptions?

Last edited:
So when we're invaded they'll have to drive to the beach observing the speed limit?
Depends whether it's by German tourists or not - if it is, they'll have their towels there from early morning, so the army will have plenty of warning!

Back