Mileage Expenses

Little Sparrow

I am a sole trader. I use a van for travel and I charge the diesel to the buisness credit card.
When calculating expenses can I charge for mileage as expense?
Many thanks

I don't understand - are you saying that you want to pay yourself expenses for using the business van?

Can you claim the mileage expense as a motoring cost?
Having used the buisness credit card would this be claiming the expense twice. For obvious reasons I don't want to do this.
Thanks

I think it would be double-counting. Presumably the other expenses involved with the van (insurance, maintenance & repairs, motor tax, etc) are charged as business expenses. Mileage expenses are meant to reimburse an employee for the use of his private vehicle for business use.

There's no such thing as a mileage expense for a sole trader. It fundamentally applies only to an employee, whose employer/employment requires them to incur expense in the performance of their work, for which they are then reimbursed.

In your case you / your sole trade business (one and the same legal entity), are entitled to:
Wear & tear allowances on the vehicle
A proportion of the tax, fuel, running/maintenance costs, tyres, insurance etc... according to the business versus personal use of the vehicle.

Back