Milan to Stresa by Train

joer

Hi there

My wife and I are flying to Milan Linate arriving at 10.40 local time in a few weeks and would like some information on travelling to Stresa by train .

Is it true the train only stops for a very short while in the Stations?

Do you have to book tickets in advance?

Is there only one Station in Stresa?.

Thanks

Joe

No trains from linate. Take shuttle for about two euros p.p. to Milan Central station -30 mins- whence train to Stresa every couple of hours.
You may make the 12.28 train which is quickest but -I'm not sure - may need reservation being a quick intercity train (50 mins). Otherwise 13.20 or 15.20 departures on regular trains ,no res needed, 75 mins duration.

Those times could change so check on the date you are going....

Only one station in Stresa and yes, Italian trains stop for a minute or less at smaller towns -you must be near door with your luggage as train gets near stresa. A bit hard when you've no idea if you're approaching the place ! So, always ask other passengers.

Although Italian train services are detailed on I prefer browsing [broken link removed]

Thanks oldnick , this will be our first time to both Linate and Stresa,so that information is very helpful indeed.

There is a huge price difference between express trains (Frecciarossa) and regular ones. So before booking an express train, do consider regular ones as well.

You can book online and print your tickets or you can book at the train station. If you book online, you can go through the process in English. On the ground in Italy, there is very little chance anyone will speak English.

When checking connections on the Trenitalia website, make sure to click "all solutions" at the bottom left of the search results window. The website tends to hide the cheapest trains unless you press that button.

And finally, there currently is a two-for-one promotion for express and intercity trains on Saturdays. Reduced-price seats are limited of course. So if you are going on a Saturday and are happy to book in advance, check the offers.

There is a huge price difference between express trains (Frecciarossa) and regular ones. So before booking an express train, do consider regular ones as well.

You can book online and print your tickets or you can book at the train station. If you book online, you can go through the process in English. On the ground in Italy, there is very little chance anyone will speak English.

When checking connections on the Trenitalia website, make sure to click "all solutions" at the bottom left of the search results window. The website tends to hide the cheapest trains unless you press that button.

And finally, there currently is a two-for-one promotion for express and intercity trains on Saturdays. Reduced-price seats are limited of course. So if you are going on a Saturday and are happy to book in advance, check the offers.

I was in Milan's main station last December and they have self-service ticket machines that have an english page so it was very straightforward using the machines.
Though as you advise there are big differences in price between express and regional, we found the regional trains very comfortable and the times suited us as well.

A couple of things for you.
It would be a pity to go through Milan without at least seeing the Doumo. You could take the local bus from outside the airport - I can't remember the number (maybe 76 or 86). Buy a €1 ticket from the m/c also outside (this gives you 70min travel on all buses and metro). The bus drops you at the back of the Doumo about 80m walk to go in. Then use the metro outside the Doumo to get to the train station.

1 other thing to research, when you look at train times on treinitalia some leave from the Central Station and others from Porta Garibaldi. So you have pleny of options but just make suree you know the times and stations. Both are on the Metro anyway and its easy to use the m/c's.

BTW Lago Maggiore is lovely, get familiar with the local buses and take short cheap trips around the area as well as crossing on the ferries.

73 (or X73) is the bus from Linate airport into town ... drops you at San Babila metro station .. it's not that far from the Duomo, but a little more than 80m IIRC .. but definitely agree it would be a shame to go to Milan and not see the Duomo (especially as it's free .. and the scaffolding is almost all removed from it now)

Back