Michael O'Leary on Marian Finucane's Show today

carpedeum

Did anybody listen to this interview? Get the podcast.

His views on Government monopolies and policy, quangos, unions and public service are thought provoking.

I have experienced private industry and the public service in working life and recently finished on a PPP.... Actually burnt out partly due to the unrealistic demands made by the public servants involved e.g. No understanding of budgetery control except hiding from the Comptroller and Auditor General and avoiding Prime Time, Shane Ross etc.

I'll qualify my criticism by saying that I have first hand experience of dealing with fantastic front line public servants (these guys are not those civil and public servants earning big bucks!) in Social Welfare (I have witnessed the recent pressures in my local office as a customer - patience and courtesy is brilliant), Immigration (sorting out non-EU employees), nurses, teachers (best in the world - I have kids), firemen, council workers, Gardai etc.

An amusing anectdote... A relative of mine is a nurse working in a major hospital for many years. When her partner lost his well paid job, she requested returning from job sharing to full time. She was td that the other half of her job had gone! However, she is working the other half of her job, even on her ward, through agency nursing at a higher hourly rate and cost to the taxpayer! I think this illustrates at what end of the Public Service and Government policy the problems lie. We need an election!

I listened to the later stages of the interview and as usual O Leary made a lot of sense. He is a driven person. Wanting his baby to succeed. Now, how can we bottle this ************************** and inject it into most of the politicians who only seem to want to hang onto their jobs, pensions and, dare I say it, expenses. Oh, and I forgot, power.

Did anybody listen to this interview? Get the podcast.

His views on Government monopolies and policy, quangos, unions and public service are thought provoking.

I have experienced private industry and the public service in working life and recently finished on a PPP.... Actually burnt out partly due to the unrealistic demands made by the public servants involved e.g. No understanding of budgetery control except hiding from the Comptroller and Auditor General and avoiding Prime Time, Shane Ross etc.

I'll qualify my criticism by saying that I have first hand experience of dealing with fantastic front line public servants (these guys are not those civil and public servants earning big bucks!) in Social Welfare (I have witnessed the recent pressures in my local office as a customer - patience and courtesy is brilliant), Immigration (sorting out non-EU employees), nurses, teachers (best in the world - I have kids), firemen, council workers, Gardai etc.

An amusing anectdote... A relative of mine is a nurse working in a major hospital for many years. When her partner lost his well paid job, she requested returning from job sharing to full time. She was td that the other half of her job had gone! However, she is working the other half of her job, even on her ward, through agency nursing at a higher hourly rate and cost to the taxpayer! I think this illustrates at what end of the Public Service and Government policy the problems lie. We need an election!

What? :confused:

Someone has actually posted a balanced piece about the Public Service? Watch out, Carpedeum. Are they Men In White Coats I see walking up the driveway towards your house............?

When asked which politicians he admired he said, Charlie Haughey and Charlie McCreevy. That says it all for me...

Both had a vision for Ireland doing well economically.

Doubt O'Leary and McCreevy could share air for long.

ONQ.

We need an election!
An election isn't good enough. We'll just end up with another shower doing the same crap. Fianna fail/fine gael etc - all pretty much the same. The only thing that really separates them is their view on the civil war.

We need something different.

When asked which politicians he admired he said, Charlie Haughey and Charlie McCreevy. That says it all for me...

That's selective, he said he admired Haughey for getting things done, he pointed out that he considered him a crook.

That's selective, he said he admired Haughey for getting things done, he pointed out that he considered him a crook.

He was certainly a crook, but he did more for Ireland than the sneaky cunning Ahern.

The simple fact is we need a different style of democracy here, or our country is just going to repeat this bankrupt-every-20-years sham for the rest of it's existence.

Ahern to lecture at Maynooth.... Ethics and business probably

The Irish Times - Thursday, November 26, 2009
Maynooth group expresses its opposition to Ahern Appointment

DEAGLÁN de BRÉADÚN Political Correspondent
A GROUP of academics and students at NUI Maynooth has called on the university to suspend its appointment of former taoiseach Bertie Ahern as a visiting professor pending the outcome of the Mahon tribunal.

Campaigners said up to 1,000 signatures opposing the appointment had been collected among the student body and a public meeting on the issue took place last week.

Some 36 academics, including professors and senior lecturers, have written to NUIM president, Prof John Hughes, expressing “profound opposition” to Mr Ahern’s presence on campus, in light of the tribunal evidence over his finances.

Prof Hughes described these arguments as “irrelevant and prejudicial”, adding that, “in Ireland as elsewhere, people are innocent until proven guilty”.

Mr Ahern is expected to give his inaugural lecture shortly but the university said no date had been set. The appointment, which is unpaid, was originally announced in March.

A spokeswoman for NUIM said last night it was *“entirely appropriate” to appoint Mr Ahern as honorary adjunct professor of mediation and conflict intervention in the school of business and law, whose courses include a diploma and master’s degree in mediation and conflict intervention. She said the professorship acknowledged the former taoiseach’s “mediation skills” and his “unique experience” in the context of the Nice Treaty and the Northern Ireland peace process.

In a letter dated June 12th, prior to the summer break, the group of academics from a range of faculties wrote to Prof Hughes expressing “profound opposition” to the appointment. Their main objection arose from the “continuing ambiguity surrounding Mr Ahern’s financial affairs, and the implications of these financial affairs for his conduct while in public office”.

In a reply marked “Strictly Private Confidential” on June 17th, Prof Hughes wrote: “A strong case was put to me by the head of business and law based on the extensive experience and reputation of this individual in conflict resolution and mediation, and his potential contribution to the new diploma and master’s programmes in this area.”

A further letter from the objectors states that “the political track record of Mr Ahern is one that, on balance, renders him unworthy of the prestigious position that he has been afforded”. In addition, the letter states that, “given the pivotal role of Mr Ahern in squandering the unanticipated riches of the Celtic Tiger era, the decision of NUI Maynooth [to appoint him] as an honorary professor simply beggars belief”.

Efforts to contact Mr Ahern for comment last night were unsuccessful.

I wonder how long Michael O Leary would have lasted on The Apprentice ?

Back