Michael Fingleton's son gets his knuckles rapped

if anyone didn't believe Neary should be sacked and replaced by somebody remotely sentient....well now they must surely have changed their mind

Folks

You are very hard.

Does it actually matter whether it is €50k or €500k.

Within a week of the offence being committed, they have named and shamed and fined the Irish Nationwide.

The FR is now moving onto the next highest priority. What would you prefer them to do? Assign 3 staff to investigate this. Hold formal adminstrative sanctions hearings. Impose a fine of €500k. Have it appealed as disproportionate.

I have long been a critic of the FR's tolerance of the misbehaviour of the Irish Nationwide, but in this case, they got in quickly and imposed a very public sanction.

They should be congratulated for it.

Brendan

Folks

You are very hard.

Does it actually matter whether it is €50k or €500k.

Within a week of the offence being committed, they have named and shamed and fined the Irish Nationwide.

The FR is now moving onto the next highest priority. What would you prefer them to do? Assign 3 staff to investigate this. Hold formal adminstrative sanctions hearings. Impose a fine of €500k. Have it appealed as disproportionate.

I have long been a critic of the FR's tolerance of the misbehaviour of the Irish Nationwide, but in this case, they got in quickly and imposed a very public sanction.

They should be congratulated for it.

Brendan
I agree, it doesn't matter if it's 50K or a 2 bob note. Who pays that fine is the shareholders, essentially the members. What is pathetic is the lack of accountability.

I would have been sacked for an offence such as this which could have brought the very future of the company into question.

Howitzer said:

I had forgotten that. I hope young Fingleton gets fined personally as well.

Brendan

The fact we haven't heard about it suggests it hasn't happened, at least not yet. They're unlikely to do it in private because he needs to be seen to be reprimanded/sanctioned given who he is and the context.

I don't see what was so bad about the email?

This is taken from RTE's website. Maybe I am missing something?

"Michael Fingleton Jnr sent the e-mail to a friend from the Irish Nationwide's London office stating that Irish Nationwide represented the 'safest place to deposit money in Europe with an AAA guarantee from a country with the lowest national debt to GDP ration of any AAA country'.
The e-mail said that deposits attracting fixed-term interest rates of 6.75% and 7.1% were guaranteed regardless of size and represented the best value in the UK market.
The e-mail continued: 'Please be so kind as to pass on to friends, colleagues and clients as you see fit.'"

talk about a storm in a tea cup, yes it was a mistake but seemed people baying for blood and sackings?

steady on.

I'm furious at all the bankers behavouir and if Fingleton junior can send emails like this what else do you think they get up to? He thinks he can do anything - that's the point. I don't care about a trifling fine, I want a solid reliable reputable banking system not an old boys network. What age is he, what is his job title? I think what he did was very serious indeed.

Back