mice

C

carolinecc

We found a mouse in our bedroom sat night, he did meet his end yesterday morning and the entire bedroom has been stripped and torn apart and cleaned with no idea how he got in or whether any of his little friends remain. I am petrified of them. So i'm back staying at my mothers in true wimp fashion. i do know its totally illogical and all the rest but i really hate them. I'd really appreciate any info on how to make sure they're gone and never coming back. We have now set traps and laid poison everywhere. We do have one of those high pitched noise thing that only rodents hear but our bedroom is downstairs and that gadget was plugged in upstairs all along, do these work? all suggestions welcome!

For your peace of mind, get a pest controller in to do a proper inspection of the house to look for places where mice might get in.

You can treat the problem effectively: i.e. get rid of all the mice, but if they can still get in then they will probably come back at some point.

Ask the pest controller to look out for any place where that might happen and also to point out anything about your house or your activities which might attract mice.

BTW, go easy on the poison. It's not nice if a mouse dies from poisoning under the floor, behind an airvent or in some other place where it'll inaccessibly rot and smell horrendous for a couple of weeks... then there's the flies....

Finally, try and relax. If you have mice in the house it does need treatment, but they aren't the worst infestation.

Caroline
I have moved counties twice (back to my mammy) for similar reasons so you're not alone! I have a pest control company on retainer so they call every 6 weeks or so to check house out and if I need them before then (God forbid), they are a phone call away.
I have those plug in jobs in almost every room of house but didn't stop blighters getting in..

Hi,

I understand your pain. I had one in the bedroom as well, he was caught. But I keep wondering about how long he had been there and if he had been in the bed etc. I did not sleep for a good month after catching him as I was terrified..
You need to find where they are getting in and block it off, or else you will be dealing with them every winter

We had a number in the attic. Luckily none inside the house. They must have climbed the brickwork and got in between the brickwork and the soffit. I put down poison and trps and caught 4 and then used one of those high pitched contraptions and haven't seen (or heard) one since. This one also sends a signal through the wiring of the house. Cost about 30euros in builders providers but best money I ever spent as Mrs. Builders was threathening to leave unless they could be controlled.

Lastbuilders

Funny story. Twas the night before Easter, and all through the house....
Well, I went up to get the eggs we had stashed for the kids, and started putting them out before I went to bed.
The eggs were fine, but when putting a few little chocolate bunnies about the place, i noticed that one of them was partially eaten. The divil i thought, we were meant to be off chocolate for the lent, and there she had gone and had a sly 80% of one of the bunnies.
Then i noticed that there was shredded up tin foil in the bottom of the bag, and that the foil was still around the bottom of the bunnie, and that there were marks that looked suspiciously like two little teeth marks on the inside of them as if a little mouth had been scraping away the chocolate!!!!!!
Well I couldn't believe we had mice, as they had only been in the spare room upstairs for one night, no other signs at all, and we have a cat who rules the roost and another that stays out, so I'm still convinced we don't have any, but that they got into the bunnies in my other halves work place, as they were there for a while as well.
But getting back to the story, I didn't put the rest of the bunnies out, but left them up on the shelf so I could show the other half in the morning, as she was out on the tear with her sister.
So up I gets in the morning, and notice the bunnies gone. mentioned it to herself when she eventually gets up, and she goes kinda greenie yellow. She had come in that night and gotten the munchies, and had polished off the little bit of the bunnie that was left and put the rest out.
She got over it quick enough, but you really couldn't be up to the wee buggers.

Absolute classic!!!

Genuinely laughing out loud here as I read that :)

By the way, OP, there is a thread on mice in the Key Posts.

First of all, you rarely (if ever), see a lone mouse in a house. If there's one, there's more.
Secondly, those 'electronic/sonic' emmitters are useless. They are ok for mosquitos and spiders, but useles for rodents. They may keep the mice from settling down and nesting in your house but they don't run a mile once you turn it on.
Mice can get in tiny gaps in the house. If a door is left pen they can get in. I once watched as one was trying to actually get past me as I stood at the back door one evening.

I had mice in my attic/cavities for ages. I had all the gadgets under the sun and none worked.
Having done lots of research and spoken to quite a few professionals, I eventually found the problem and have been mouse free for 4 years.

THE ONLY WAY TO GET RID OF MICE IS TO BLOCK THE POINT OF ENTRY.

It's that simple. In my case they were getting into the cavity through a tiny hole that had been left behind our oil burner which is up against the back of the house. The plumber hadn't sealed the area around where the pipes went into the house. It was no bigger than a 50 cent coin.Once I sealed the hole, I caught a few more mice and that was that. All gadgets have since been dumped.

Check around the outside of the house for small holes in doorways, windows and check the unobvious places. Droppings around an area are a good sign.

And don't just 'leave them be'. They WILL chew on wires and nowadays all houses are using qualpex heating pipes which are plastic. It may take them a long time but they can eventually knaw through and you have a pinhole leak. I know someone who had this happen to them.
The best way to catch mice is using the 50 cent wooden traps and use peanut butter as bait. Don't use meat or you might attract rats.

I agree with the last poster there is never only one. In my experience I always catch four or five at a time. Also agree bout the 50 cent wooden traps only problem is they are now 75 cent wooden traps in my neck of the woods.

Re: mice-update

Thanks for all the suggestions. Rentokill were out Tues and laid bait along with our traps and poison already laid, he's coming back next tuesday to check on them. We haven't caught anything or seen any sign of them since sunday morning when that bloody thing was killed, is this normal? trying to build myself up to moving back in to the house, but i'll freak out altogether if i hear them when i'm there. My boyfriend has slept at the house all week and not heard a thing, he is not allowed to lie about this!!! Would they just get caught in the traps and die so i at least know they're dead!!!!

Back