Mice will die...will I smell them later?

gebbel

I have put down some poison in the kitchen recently to kill some mice. They are feasting away on the stuff. My question is am I likely to get some seriously bad smells from them as they decompose? Or does anyone know if they prefer to die outside?!

Thanks.

Don't put down to much poison or they will just gather it up and not eat it. IMO i prefer the trap, at least you know you have them then. Not quite sure on the smell issue,but like everything else when it goes bad , there has to be something

I don't think you will actually smell the dead mouse, however bluebottles will smell it and they are hard to get rid of!

I don't think you will actually smell the dead mouse, however bluebottles will smell it and they are hard to get rid of!

Surely it's too cold for bluebottles...especially now!! Are they not summer bees?

You probably will smell the mice. I have done in the past. They tend to crawl somehere cosy and private to die - which tends not to be outside. Under floorboards is a classic place.

If our experience is anything to go by there wil be a 'dead' smell - which is nasty enough though not totally overpowering. Good news is though it should be gone in about a week.

Why don't you get the plug-in deterents which kindly ask the mice to move on to your neighbours houses!!!

That way you do not have to kill them.

I read somewhere that they are completely useless?

I used to hear munching sounds especially under the cooker, behind the timber stud partitions to the extension.

I used to have a mouse trap, but ever since I put in two plug ins, one in the external utility room & one under the stairs (out of harms way) I have heard nothing since.

Over the summer I insulated under the ground floor timber floors (only 0.5m depth to work with, a crawling space, difficult to do. I was to say the least bit disappointed that there were no mice there to talk to, yes I beieve the plug-ins worked for me.

you will smell the dead mice - i had a few earlier in the winter and trapped most of them but one must have been injured. He crawled through attic and died under insulation beside the light fitting in sons bedroom - the smell was horrendous about a week later and i had to go through the attic insulation to locate the source of the smell. removed the corpse and smell disappeared.

Trap them and throw them away - otherwise you have no control of where they decide to decompose/dessicate/mummify/provide food for other vermin. No point being squeamish about them - it isn't like there is a shortage!

Oh boy will they smell ! And they usually find a nice warm place to die near pipes etc, its a charming rotting cabbage-style odour :-(

We suffer from them every winter , we never put poison down , the best way is old fashioned traps. You can buy very good pre baited plastic traps from Woodies, much easier to set than the wooden ones , and believe me just as effective.

Keep an eye out for areas with droppings and place your traps there. I dont believe in the plug - ins at all , I once seen a mouse standing right beside one! I think they become accustom to the sound, otherwise mice wounldnt be in industrial places etc if they were repelled by noises.

I find peppermint very good , supposedly they dont like it much . I have a little plant in the kitchen , and bought peppermint oil & sprinkle it in areas I'd usually hear them , and i havent heard/caught as many this year as I usually would of.

Good luck hunting !

. I dont believe in the plug - ins at all , I once seen a mouse standing right beside one! I think they become accustom to the sound, otherwise mice wounldnt be in industrial places etc if they were repelled by noises.
!

The plug-in devices do NOT get rid of mice but they do prevent them. I put 2 in my house when I moved in back in 2003. Never had a problem with mice.

Simply put, a mouse will be deterred from entering your home when there is one plugged in. However, if you have mice already and then plug the device in, chances are that the mice will get used to it very quickly.

Update: bought 2 traps in tesco and set them up. This morning one of them was sprung and one dead mouse inside. Gotcha! I'm not sure how many more there are but now I see the trap option is definitely better than the poison.

gebbel - mice love chocolate. I always use that as bait - a nice belgian praline will do the trick (or white buttons either ;)

gebbel - mice love chocolate. I always use that as bait - a nice belgian praline will do the trick (or white buttons either ;)

Mmm..the Belgian Praline will have to end up in my mouth...even though I could really do without any more of them after the excesses of Xmas! Do you think the mice will like those horrible coffee chocs?

The plug-in devices do NOT get rid of mice but they do prevent them. I put 2 in my house when I moved in back in 2003. Never had a problem with mice.

Simply put, a mouse will be deterred from entering your home when there is one plugged in. However, if you have mice already and then plug the device in, chances are that the mice will get used to it very quickly.

My mother plugged one in as soon as she bought her house a few years ago , never any mice until the last snow last jan/feb, I think they'll come in regardless if cold enough , but i've heard it suggested that they prevent them from nesting.

I'd not run the risk of them rejecting the coffee chocolate :) just think of your waistline and use the praline :D Or just a small bit of bog standard cadbury's milk chocolate.

Update: Just snared me a second mouse! The bait was Creamfields half-fat Mature Cheese (not only does it help me lose weight eh!!). Now to take the gloss off it all a little bit, the 2nd trap was also triggered but didn't snare the bugger....the cheese was not taken however so maybe he'll come back!

Back