Mice problem

Bloody do gooders. You have a problem. Rats and mice are running round your house carrying germs and disease and you are not now allowed use one of the most effective ways of getting rid of them.

I expect them to ban poison and wooden traps next. Vermin have feelings too. No doubt the people who introduced the ban on the glue boards feel that you should try and kill vermin without hurting them.

After that it will become illegal to swat flys.

It's the sort of legislation I'd expect from the extreme looney wing of the Green Party

Murt

I dont think you should kill mice either! I just think its wrong. Why not catch them humanely and then set them free? What harm will it do? There are millions of rats and mice in Ireland so killing one of them wont make any difference. It all boils down to morals I suppose. Some people are happy to kill a living thing, and other people arent.

Why not eliminate rats and mice for good, surely rats serve no purpose ?, whatever about mice being food for some other creature.

Saw a mouse scuttling across the floor one night recently and bought one of the electronic devices - no sign since!

Re the electronic repellant devices; I bought a multi pack 6 for 30 euro. Thought strength in numbers and value for money. Waste of time!! My wife bought one for 40 euro from a locally owned hardware store (not B&Q etc.). This looks to be a better quality device (..and yes I know quality doesn't always cost more) but have only had mice problems once this year and that was the day after it was unplugged by one of the kids!!

We also bought 2 of these devices from the local hardware store. They seemed to do the trick, unfortunately 1 exploded while plugged in. We were at home and there was nothing flammable near them, but I would just be careful with them. Make sure to switch them off every other day or so for a while.

I tried those electronic devices and only thing more annoying than the noise of the mice running around was the clicking that the device made!

Bloody do gooders. You have a problem. Rats and mice are running round your house carrying germs and disease and you are not now allowed use one of the most effective ways of getting rid of them.

I expect them to ban poison and wooden traps next. Vermin have feelings too. No doubt the people who introduced the ban on the glue boards feel that you should try and kill vermin without hurting them.

After that it will become illegal to swat flys.

It's the sort of legislation I'd expect from the extreme looney wing of the Green Party

I think it is very refreshing to see such a torturous device banned.

They are no more as effective as a snap trap. You run in with several problems when it comes with glue traps:

1) It doesn't kill the animal. It just sits there and suffers, pulling its skin off and even gnawing its own limbs off. People will often throw them into the bin like that, in fact, the trap instructions recommend it. Disgustingly evil. So the morality aspect is clearly there, even if you are indifferent and try to ignore it.

2) Since they are alive on these things, they will often squeak, warding other mice/rats away.

3) The risk of disease is greater seeing that animals will defecate all over the trap in the one place.

4) There's a chance the animal may pull off and escape, so it is better off being dead right away.

5) The glue on the traps are affected by temperature, dust and moisture.

6) They are horribly indiscriminate.

7) It is a one-use only trap, so in the long run it is more expensive when it comes to infestations.

Most people who are for banning glue boards are doing it because they are just too inhumane. There are more humane methods that don't cause as much suffering, like a snap trap. And yes, you should kill vermin without having to hurt them too much... isn't minimising suffering when killing animals the decent thing to do? Torture should be illegal, irrespective of your attitude on rodents.

Guess I'm with the extreme looney wing of the Green Party on this one. The less suffering we inflict with the killing of animals, the better. Torture is not acceptable, especially considering that it is not required.

Well glue boards may be illegal but I have seen baby mice get on top of traps, eat some of the bait and then go on the merry way. They work and you can get them on the web.

If they're illegal, then getting them from the web and importing them would also be illegal. I don't think it would get through customs.

You say that "they work", but I have seen mice walk over them unhindered, leaving only footprints. Every trap will not work sometimes, so I don't see how a glue trap is any more effective than a snap trap.

Found mouse droppings in press on Sunday. Cleaned out and found fresh ones on Monday. Picked up the standard wodden traps on Tuesday evening, set with some scnickers as bait and on Wednesday removed the dead mouse from the press.

Question is how can I know if I have one or multiple mice. I have left a new trap baited and set which I will monitor. What if this mouse was the only one who found his way to the press, could there be others lingering elsewhere in the house?

I dont think you should kill mice either! I just think its wrong. Why not catch them humanely and then set them free? What harm will it do? There are millions of rats and mice in Ireland so killing one of them wont make any difference. It all boils down to morals I suppose. Some people are happy to kill a living thing, and other people arent.

I have a mouse and am trying out the humane traps. I dread the thought of releasing the mouse when I catch it because I'm a wuss (and apparently you have to release it at least a couple of miles away so it won't return) but I can't bear the thought of it suffering. So the wooden traps would be a last resort for me.

After much experimentation, I designed my own humane trap. In the process I discovered just how cunning our furry friends are.
If anyone is interested, it was a simple design of an upturned pirex dish with a baited piece of stick. The mouse nudges the stick and the dish falls, trapping them alive and uninjured.

I also tried a humane trap which I bought, but it didn't work for me.

Had mice for years and tried everything with varying degrees of success. With my years of experience I have found the perfect cheap solution. Mice have an extraordinary sense of smell - they use their nose to find food, mates, detect heat and danger - it acts like their eyes and ears. They won't remain in an environment where their nose isn't fully operational. Spray attics, hot presses, behind furniture etc. with any Air Freshener. No need to spray too much - even small amounts play havoc with their sinuses. I do this every second day and went from them regularly showing up to none whatsoever. Trust me - it works.

Brianhop....That is probably the best idea I have ever heard..you should be on go on dragons den if you keep coming up wih ideas like this.... will give it a go. cheers

Back