Mice problem

Staple

We have a mouse/mice between the walls and it is driving us up them!
We have one of those electronic repellant devices plugged in up in the attic but it doesn't seem to do any good.
Any suggestions please

Once the mouse is in the repellent device won't work. Personally I'd put plenty of traps in the attic or in the house if the mouse can get in.

We had mice about 2 months ago, behind the kickboard under the sink, scutter scutter, scratchy scratchy, even heard a bit of knawing, probaby on dishwasher cable - bought 2 of those cheapie wooden traps for e1.25 each in the local hardware shop. Got 1 of the mice in two days, the next one after another couple of days. One baited with Jaffa Cake, other with Cheese Sambo. End of mouse problem. We have a cat, have had her since 1995 - fat load of good she was... I've left the traps where they were. Didn't like poison traps - worried about the agonising pain for the little mouse, not to mention other animals eating it or the kids finding it...The two mice were a good 8cm long (incl tail).

Dont use poison as they will just hide away to die and then when they start to decompose, you will know about it.

Dont use poison as they will just hide away to die and then when they start to decompose, you will know about it.

I know - been there.

But IMO it is still the most effective way of getting rid of them - the smell will last about 3 weeks if you can tolerate it.

We had the same problem in a new build, traps work on Adult mice but not on baby/smaller ones, as I have seen them on traps eating the food. We considered poison but it will go and die behind the cooker and you would not know about it. We had to go for glue boards got them in America, basically the mouse will stick to the board. Then take the board, place the board in a bag and drop something heavy on it. Not very nice but it worked. We had to do this as the baby mice could not be caught with a trap.

Glue boards are now illegal under the wildelife act. Importation, sale , use,etc is banned. Big fines for breach of act. Major problem for pest control if you need quick control in a premises eg restaurant etc. Put some soft bait such as butter, peanut butter etc on the trap and put a little piece of thread through it and around the trip plate. The snagging of the theeth on the thread should trigger it if ithe mouses weight wont. With mice there should not be too much of a smell (from use of poison) as there is very little body weight. Generally a musty smell. Ultrasonic units are a waste of time.

Glue boards are now illegal under the wildelife act. Importation, sale , use,etc is banned. Big fines for breach of act.

Bloody do gooders. You have a problem. Rats and mice are running round your house carrying germs and disease and you are not now allowed use one of the most effective ways of getting rid of them.

I expect them to ban poison and wooden traps next. Vermin have feelings too. No doubt the people who introduced the ban on the glue boards feel that you should try and kill vermin without hurting them.

After that it will become illegal to swat flys.

It's the sort of legislation I'd expect from the extreme looney wing of the Green Party

Murt

There's an extreme looney wing of the Green Party?
Are the rest of them just moderately looney?

Techless,
The best solution I've found is to get those cheap "snap" traps. Then melt some chocolate and stick (smear) it onto the "bait flap" on the trap. Then chill it in the fridge for an hour or so, to harden the chocolate. Then lay your trap(s). The mice will have difficulty taking the hardened chocolate without setting off the trap.

It worked a treat for me,

Hope this helps,

Thanks Thedoc, actually caught one last night in one of those wooden traps with an old fashioned piece of cheese. Have set some again as these boys don't usually travel alone.
It's trying to prevent them getting in is the next problem, what is a good product to try and fill in any potential entry holes that they may using ?

what is a good product to try and fill in any potential entry holes that they may using ?

You need to be quite meticulous here. It's been said that all mice need is the diameter of a pencil!

One of the few things they won't try to chew through is, I believe, steel wool.

It's trying to prevent them getting in is the next problem, what is a good product to try and fill in any potential entry holes that they may using ?
Nutella is supposed to be a good bait for mice, as for filling holes an expanding polyurethane foam is probably the best job for larger holes inside a dwelling. For external holes I'd suggest a proper sand/ cement mortar as the foam will degrade over time with exposure to UV radiation.

Definately steel wool. We had a problem with mice a few months ago. The steel wool blocking up holes kept them in one place and then the traps got them.

Depends on where the holes are and how big they are. Mice can squeeze through the smallest of holes. Gaps around sink or utilitity outlet pipes could be sealed with something like wall filler (ie Polyfilla). gaps in brickwork might be best closed with cement. Some fine wire mesh cut to size and attched should also do the trick.
If you have mice in your walls, you need to be sure of their entry point.

Hope this helps,

Happy hunting!

Keeping them out!

I've have none.... yet but I know I will before the winter is out. So has anyone any tips to keep them out. DH has went around the house to fill in any holes we can see. Is there any other ways to keep them out?

Re: Keeping them out!

DH has went around the house to fill in any holes we can see. Is there any other ways to keep them out?
It's the obvious stuff really, close over external doors when unloading the car, taking in the laundry etc. The most important thing though is hygiene, they are attracted by two things: a warm, dry place to nest and a good food source. Don't leave rubbish or food scaps around.

Back