Mice in new home

J

jenolan

I moved into a new house back in Oct and shortly after had a few mousey visitors. Managed to get rid (in the humane way of course, catch and release) so thought that was the end of it but Noooo!! they're back.

Now I understand that I live on a building site and all the digging etc is probably disrupting them but I think I'm the only one who has them. Could there be something not sealed properly or what is the situation. I'm not scaredy but when you open the kitchen press to get a plate and something jumps out at you it is a bit off putting not to mention having to disinfect everything all the time!

Perhaps my reputation in the mouse world has spread that I'm kind and welcoming, maybe I need to start using the killer traps!! No cat suggestions please

Try plugging in one of those electronic devices available in any harware or DIY store. Not expensive. Just plug it into the room where you are finding the mice and it emits a silent signal that humans cannot hear. Apparently its like a loud buzzing sound that deafens the mice and any other termites and runs them out of your house!. Try that.
usually as well if you try to keep your back door closed (not leaving it open when you go to put clothes on the line), this helps as they can seize the opportunity to run in when the door is open, as its warmer in your snug home that outside where they are!

4 traps, one night, 6 mice, sayonara (touch wood!).

I'd say wire up drains, pipes and any other obvious gaps. Dont leave doors open for too long at a time.

On the upside someone said to me that at least if you have mice it means you dont have rats (presumably theres a food chain reason for that).

Re high pitch sound emitting devices to deter new movers, I've heard they arent that effective but no first hand experience so investigate yourself.

I had a post about this a while back but can't find it.

Plug in things don't work - total waste of money. Had one and still caught about 8 mice in traps near it. Caught 12 mice in total. Only stopped getting the little b*stards when I put poison in every hole in the house and in the attic. Didn't want to do that at first but after a while it just bacame so stressful that I couldn't even face opening the bathroom door in case there was one of them staring back at me!!!

Thanks for suggestions I will go home this evening armed with the finest Chicken wire money can buy and set about plugging every hole I can see.

Cahir, I know what you mean about not wanting to use poison but it might get to that stage too. I'm getting fed up tiptoeing around the house with trouser legs tucked into my socks!

Plug in things don't work - total waste of money.

A friend of mine also tried them and found them useless.

They sorted our mouse problem out. We had a dual function yoke which emitted a supersonic pitch and did something with the magnetism in the power circuit.

We also had the duel function plug in thing - cost about €55 if I remember correctly. Still had a mouse problem though. Maybe our mice were super resistant or something.

I find the pre-baited plastic traps are good. Woodies sell them. Unfortunately our dryer has one of those big outlet pipes and we need to leave the back door ajar to let out the hot air so a few mice may still get in. I eventually got a cat but it still has to prove its worth!

Still had a mouse problem though. Maybe our mice were super resistant or something.
Those things don't actually get rid of mice who enter the house as although/because the sound tortures the mice they apparently can't leave the house unless you leave doors open or whatever. However they will stop new mice from appearing once you install & plug it in.

it emits a silent signal that humans cannot hear
I could hear the sounds from the thing we had as well, maybe I was a dog in a previous life!!

Electronic gizmos

Hmmm, we got the plug in things supposed to deter mice also. We had a problem in that our garage door was hung too high, so it was open invitation to any mice that cared to venture in ( or out) and despite plugging in these things, the mice set up home...so either the ones we bought ( two) didnt work or the whole thing is a bit of a con.

Back