Key Post Mice and Rats

Re: Key Post: Mice/Rats

I had mice this winter.

Tried everything.

Best thing: Some wooden traps, Luna brand. V sensitive but reasonably ok to set.

I tried: chocolate, nuts, penaut butter, cheese, raisins, pork rind, you name it - not really interested.

Then I tried oat biscuits - they loved them. But stole the bait.

Tried gluing on the bait - think smell put them off.

Tied it on with string - they nicked it anyway.

Then - white pritt tab (blutack kind of stuff) and stuck the bait on - bingo! Dead mice. Take that you pesky pests!

Got 3 of the flippers and that was us clear. I even dusted the floor with flour to make sure I would see prints if any were left. Mind you, they pooh so much you would be in no doubt if you have them.

I think I will have to use the white pritt tab trick because we have mice at the moment and we cant catch them for love nor money. The keep stealing the bait - chocolate, pork rind & peanut butter.

Known rat problem on our street

We have just found out that our street is particularily prone to rats...nice! :(

We have been told be two different neighbours, so it must be a big problem. We haven't moved in yet as the house is being renovated.

Is there anyway to address this issue now, while work is being done on the house, old victorian house. Do those devices that emit high frequency signals work? Should they be put under floorboards?

Thanks any advice appreciated

Maybe stating the obvious, but: a cat?

We've had mice and rats on occasion in the past but since we've had a cat, no problems except for the odd tiny corpse by the back door ;)

I think I will have to use the white pritt tab trick because we have mice at the moment and we cant catch them for love nor money. The keep stealing the bait - chocolate, pork rind & peanut butter.

I once thought we had a mouse and I tried everything to catch it using wooden mousetraps.
The critter who I could actually hear at night used to steal the bait regularly. Turned out to be a little shrew. Cute little fella. I eventually caught him myself and released him.

Catching Mice

My parents have caught 5 baby mice in less than 2 days, my poor mother is absolutely freaking!

2 were caught in the dining room and 3 in the utility room, off the kitchen, which is either side of the house.

How many would you have to catch before starting to consider it a serious problem and call in the professionals?

I use the sonar plug in thing in my own place, touch wood and all the rest but I havent had any problems...but do they actually do what it says on the tin, or have I just been lucky?

Re: Catching Mice

I use the sonar plug in thing in my own place, touch wood and all the rest but I havent had any problems...but do they actually do what it says on the tin, or have I just been lucky?

Probably lucky, I've yet to see any evidence that they work.

I dont think the plugs deter them completely , but I've heard they may stop them from nesting .

The only fool proof way is to fill in any tiny openings, they can squeeze through the tiniest spot, my mam had loads last year, and traced their entrance point to just underneath the step at back door , she filled it up with packets of instant cement stuff she bought in hardware, not one lil bugger since.

They dont like mint either, so get some peppermint oil or a little plant.

Re: Mice and Rats - me or the landlord?

Just wondering who should be responsible for getting rid of mice - me or the landlord?

Bear in mind that although normally a competent woman I am a helpless screaming terrifed madwoman when confronted with a mouse or even the thought of one!

When putting bait on the trap, put on some flour over it. They love it and will come out of the walls to eat it!

Back